Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

17 May 2017, 3:37 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
W91T wrote:
My favorite is The Shadow over Innsmouth

Have you seen the two recent movies based on that story, Dagon, and Cthulhu?

No, but they seem very interesting

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 3:41 pm

W91T wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
W91T wrote:
My favorite is The Shadow over Innsmouth

Have you seen the two recent movies based on that story, Dagon, and Cthulhu?

No, but they seem very interesting

The settings and the times are different, but the storylines of both movies are clearly based on The Shadow Over Innsmouth. Both should be available to buy or rent.

JLD
Toucan
Toucan

18 May 2017, 12:23 pm

i think it is impossible and meaningless to make screen versions of Lovecraft's stories.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2017, 12:54 pm

JLD wrote:
i think it is impossible and meaningless to make screen versions of Lovecraft's stories.

I dunno. S.T. Joshi, who many feel is the leading Lovecraft literary scholar, has described the movie Cthulhu as the truest to the spirit of Lovecraft's Mythos.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 10:05 am

One that really sticks with me is "The Rats in the Walls." It starts out a creepy little haunted-house tale, then escalates. Has that claustrophobic atmosphere he does so well, in spades. (Gravediggers' spades.) And yes, it has HPL's problematic obsession with "tainted blood," which I swear drives more of his stories than the Cthulhu Mythos did. That book by Houlebeque, "Against the World, Against Life" makes a pretty good argument that his genius was tied up with his pathological racism.

"The Dunwich Horror" is another favourite of mine: again there's the long build up, and you think you know what's coming. Then the monster reveals take it a whole step further.

I think it's "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward" where the villain keeps several huge gelatinous shoggoths in deep pits beneath his basement. They've been jumping up and down, trying to get out, with no food or drink, for the past 90 years. That's an image no other writer could have come up with.