Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

sydthekid
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 May 2017, 7:34 pm

I haven't been diagnosed with aspergers, but I'm just about certain I have it. I'll be assessed for it at the end of June. Today was a difficult day at work. I'm a substitute teacher on a long term assignment as a computer lab teacher. For the past several days the students, ranging from Kindergarteners to 7th graders, haven't been able to play their usual educational games because it slows down the internet for those who need it for testing. They are already very talkative which is very bothersome for me to hear all day, but with them being bored without enough to do it's even worse. Today, there were a few times where I felt like could cry. Noises began to startle me and at times I was slow in responding to the students when they were talking to me. It was hard to focus and get it out. I feel stressed, anxious, short of breath and my chest hurts. I've taken a nap but, it's only help a little. Anyone have any suggestions on things I could do to feel better?

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 7:45 pm

For a short term thing for anxiety and overload, you can go onto youtube and look for guided relaxation meditations. That's what I do when I'm super stressed out and cannot calm myself down. :) I don't know what you can do about the other stuff. Hopefully once the exams are over things will improve.

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

17 May 2017, 7:19 pm

sydthekid wrote:
I haven't been diagnosed with aspergers, but I'm just about certain I have it. I'll be assessed for it at the end of June. Today was a difficult day at work. I'm a substitute teacher on a long term assignment as a computer lab teacher. For the past several days the students, ranging from Kindergarteners to 7th graders, haven't been able to play their usual educational games because it slows down the internet for those who need it for testing. They are already very talkative which is very bothersome for me to hear all day, but with them being bored without enough to do it's even worse. Today, there were a few times where I felt like could cry. Noises began to startle me and at times I was slow in responding to the students when they were talking to me. It was hard to focus and get it out. I feel stressed, anxious, short of breath and my chest hurts. I've taken a nap but, it's only help a little. Anyone have any suggestions on things I could do to feel better?

This is probably past now but I'll give you some suggestions for the future. I suggest watching documentaries, It helps me calm down when I am in school. Another thing, step outside the classroom for a couple moments and take deep breaths. I usually take a 1 to 2 min break from the classroom if I am overwhelmed on loudness.
I really hope this helps! :compress:

aspieinaz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Jun 2017, 5:27 am

I was a teacher for 34 years. It was ok as long as I had my own class, my own lesson plans etc. I don't think I could have ever been a substitute teacher because I would not have known the kids or done the lesson plans myself and that would have been too chaotic for me to handle. Are you able to have any say in what the kids are supposed to be doing? Can you plan activities to keep them busy? Can you read them stories? Can you have calming music on for them to listen to? I feel for you because I think being a substitute teacher is very hard.