Huff Post article on mothers finding out because of kids

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 11:34 pm

When A Child’s Autism Diagnosis Leads To Answers For Mom “I’ve been trying my whole life to ‘pass as normal’ before I ever had a clue that I could be autistic,” one mom says.

Quote:
Rosanne Bersten decided to start keeping genetic records for her guinea pigs when she was 11 years old. Bersten’s breeding program included meticulous note-taking as she introduced new rodents with different characteristics.

Looking back, Bersten says, she showed obvious signs of being on the autism spectrum as a child.

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition, has redefined “Asperger’s syndrome” as “autism spectrum disorder,” although many “Aspie” moms and others in the autism community still use the old term to identify.

“I was listening to the psychologist describe the reasons for her conclusions,” says Bersten, who was also identified as gifted as a child. “I said, ‘You sound like you are describing me.’”

It’s unclear how many mothers are diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder after ― or perhaps, because ― their own child or children have been diagnosed. Fathers are diagnosed, too. But licensed professional counselor and certified trauma counselor Bill Prasad says women largely account for the uptick in patients presenting with autism in hospital settings and at his private practice in Bellair, Texas.

Christina Gleason, 38, says her diagnosis was a relief. The resident of Clifton Park, New York, was diagnosed with high-functioning autism three years after her son, and prefers identifying as an “Aspie” over the current DSM-V terminology.

“For me, diagnosis was an explanation for why I never seemed to fit in, no matter how hard I tried,” said Gleason, who has a master’s degree in psychology.

“I’ve been trying my whole life to ‘pass as normal’ before I ever had a clue that I could be autistic. Knowing we are both Aspies has helped me understand that [my son] has specific needs. I have a lifetime of experience to draw from.”

Articles about adult autism have appeared a number of times in the British media the last few years. Hopefully this is a start of a trend in the American media.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 11:57 pm

We need more stories like this in the North American media.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2017, 1:40 pm

Well, that's interesting.

Acceptance is going to be a long, long time coming.

Hope it helps.

puzzledoll
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 May 2017, 5:48 pm

After we found out my younger son was on the spectrum, I was pretty sure I was. His psychiatrist even told me I would probably have been diagnosed as a child. I didn't get an official diagnosis until I was 40 though and it was only because of getting my son diagnosed. Girls with this disorder really do slip through the cracks.