Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

FreakyZettairyouiki
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 May 2017, 4:44 pm

So I'm a pharmacy major and I finished this semester with not so flying colors. I failed at least 2 classes and I feel so useless and hopeless. My mom is on my case for wanting to be in another major and on top of being faced with possible dismissal from my program, my depression is getting worse because I don't know what the future holds. Meanwhile, my mom is not shy with expressing her disappointment to me and calling me lazy. I don't want to be in this major anymore because no matter how hard I try, I can never master the workload and time commitment needed to do this major. I feel like my learning style is not compatible with it and that the maximum amount of time that I can study as much as humanly possible is still not enough. My studying speed is still too slow to meet deadlines and study everything on time, even when I am on medication (Adderall). My gut feeling has been telling me all semester that it's time to reconsider other majors and honestly if you asked me why I want to do pharmacy, I couldn't tell you a heartfelt concrete answer besides "I like drugs and how they work in the body." Sure I could say I want to be one because "I am interested in neuroscience and Alzheimers...' blah blah blah, but in my soul, it sounds more rehearsed than heartfelt. I'm unsure of what to do now, with my mom yelling at me for wasting her money and sitting in her house on my computer all day and my dad on my ass about making me go work at the Dunkin across the street. I am between a rock an a hard place, and I want to look at all my options. My mom says I have given up too easily, but I have been in college for three years and I have been trying for the past year to get my s**t together but no matter what, it's still not enough. I don't believe I can keep up with the demands of this major

I noticed that my learning style, while I gravitate towards computational and problem solving skills, is creative and artistic as well. I don't like to just cram stuff down my throat. It was easier when I was a freshmen but now that I'm in my P1 year, that no longer works with the volume of information you have to learn. It's too much on my brain and I'm not retaining much, from drugs and side effects to pathophysiology to pharmaceutics. I honestly feel like my mind is telling me to pursue graphic design. I can see how I do it everyday and I actually have passion for it, which I haven't felt in a long time. I want to be in control of my own canvas. My parents, however think that's bullcrap and don't think I can make a living with that. Judgements aside, I'm looking for a STEM career where I can be artistic/creative , be logical and use critical thinking, and also have marketable skills for a medical career at the same time. My mom seems to think that if you want to do something artistic that I am not actually using my brain and I would like to show her these options, if anyone can help me. :?

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2017, 10:11 pm

FreakyZettairyouiki wrote:
So I'm a pharmacy major and I finished this semester with not so flying colors. I failed at least 2 classes and I feel so useless and hopeless. My mom is on my case for wanting to be in another major and on top of being faced with possible dismissal from my program, my depression is getting worse because I don't know what the future holds. Meanwhile, my mom is not shy with expressing her disappointment to me and calling me lazy. I don't want to be in this major anymore because no matter how hard I try, I can never master the workload and time commitment needed to do this major. I feel like my learning style is not compatible with it and that the maximum amount of time that I can study as much as humanly possible is still not enough. My studying speed is still too slow to meet deadlines and study everything on time, even when I am on medication (Adderall). My gut feeling has been telling me all semester that it's time to reconsider other majors and honestly if you asked me why I want to do pharmacy, I couldn't tell you a heartfelt concrete answer besides "I like drugs and how they work in the body." Sure I could say I want to be one because "I am interested in neuroscience and Alzheimers...' blah blah blah, but in my soul, it sounds more rehearsed than heartfelt. I'm unsure of what to do now, with my mom yelling at me for wasting her money and sitting in her house on my computer all day and my dad on my ass about making me go work at the Dunkin across the street. I am between a rock an a hard place, and I want to look at all my options. My mom says I have given up too easily, but I have been in college for three years and I have been trying for the past year to get my s**t together but no matter what, it's still not enough. I don't believe I can keep up with the demands of this major

I noticed that my learning style, while I gravitate towards computational and problem solving skills, is creative and artistic as well. I don't like to just cram stuff down my throat. It was easier when I was a freshmen but now that I'm in my P1 year, that no longer works with the volume of information you have to learn. It's too much on my brain and I'm not retaining much, from drugs and side effects to pathophysiology to pharmaceutics. I honestly feel like my mind is telling me to pursue graphic design. I can see how I do it everyday and I actually have passion for it, which I haven't felt in a long time. I want to be in control of my own canvas. My parents, however think that's bullcrap and don't think I can make a living with that. Judgements aside, I'm looking for a STEM career where I can be artistic/creative , be logical and use critical thinking, and also have marketable skills for a medical career at the same time. My mom seems to think that if you want to do something artistic that I am not actually using my brain and I would like to show her these options, if anyone can help me. :?

I don't think you should stay in your current major given what you have written. One important job of a pharmacist is to make sure doctors don't prescribe their patients things that could kill them, so you do really need to be vigilant, detail oriented, and know your drugs well.

I understand your parents fear that another major might not be profitable, but I think they can be put at ease by having your parents research them with you. Graphic design can be profitable. I know one person who has done well in this field. But it can also be very competitive and unstable and that is something to be aware of.
There are art oriented fields that are profitable though.

FreakyZettairyouiki
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 May 2017, 4:04 pm

You're talking to a girl whose mom always retorts anything I say like this with 'I failed physics three times. I know s**t about science. You're too intelligent for anything else. I'm not wasting my money on that' while she goes through her bag of pre-prepared speeches with waterworks for brownie points. She will also use the 'God will help you' card a lot. So basically I'm their b***h for them to brag about unless I can pay for it myself, which isn't gonna happen anytime soon :(