The declne of the American worker started in 1943

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 1:21 am

naturalplastic wrote:
The article doesn't say the decline started in 1943. It says something like that it started for "workers born in 1943" (ie around 1973).

My bad. You are correct. Those born in 1942, entered the workforce at the end of the 50's and 60's and turned 27 during 1969.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 2:05 am

Jacoby wrote:
boomers destroyed the country

A lot of boomers that became or were the elite did. The whole "if it feels good do it" hippie mantra did. Boomers on the coasts and campuses tended more to be hippies and protesters in the 60's while the middle and working class youth went to Vietnam and voted for Nixon if they voted at.

Working and middle class anger at elites did not start with Trump it was very prominent in the Vietnam era. See Hard Hat Riot
Quote:
The rallies culminated in a large rally on May 20 in which an estimated 150,000 pro-war protesters marched without opposition through the streets of downtown Manhattan.Some workers in surrounding buildings showed their support by showering the marchers with ticker tape.

You read that correctly, 150,000 working and middle class anti hippie demonstrators in New York City.

The mellenials complain about the boomers screwing thier lives. I am younger boomer by the time I was in high school and college we were in post 60's hangover. There was recession combined with inflation. The excess of the 60's were having there effects, crime and divorce were skyrocketing, while thankfully there was not anti free speech bullying the bathrooms were fully for marijuana smoking, discipline was a joke and academics were not what they were. I had no homework my senior year of high school 1974-1975. We were allowed to do what we wanted which was better then today's micromanaging parenting and police state schools but it was too far in the other direction, it caused a lot of casulties.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 12:31 pm

...I recall that the famed " Hard Hat Riot " was a set-up by Nixon and co. along with the more corrupt part of the Teamsters Union .
For " Sixties " conspiracies , however , I have seen it argued that the drug culture of that time was encouraged and fanned along by the CIA , etc. , to weaken the radical movement .

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 12:38 pm

... You're using " elites " in this Nixon/Agnew sense here , ASP , which is not the only way one can define the concert/that it has been used .

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 12:39 pm

Jacoby wrote:
People have glorified the French Revolution long before the 'alt-right' was even a thing for exactly that reason, when people say we need another French Revolution what they're saying is we need to kill a whole bunch of the elite not that we should rebuild society around radical enlightenment ideas or whatever.

I mean, beheading the king and queen is pretty badass :P

Here's an idea, instead of killing the rich, smart, successful people (elites), let's make them pay their fair share of taxes and use the money to support the working class with earned income tax credits, actually accessible healthcare, and cheaper/free higher ed!

If that doesn't work, then we can kill 'em! :twisted:

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 1:08 pm

Hard Hat protesters were some real sweethearts.
From your link, ASPartOfMe:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Hat_Riot

Quote:
The Hard Hat Riot occurred on May 8, 1970, in New York City. It started around noon when about 200 construction workers mobilized by the New York State AFL-CIO attacked some 1,000 college and high school students and others who were protesting the May 4 Kent State shootings, the Vietnam War, and the April 30 announcement by President Richard Nixon of the U.S. invasion of Cambodia. The Hard Hat Riot, breaking out first near the intersection of Wall Street and Broad Street in Lower Manhattan, soon spilled into New York City Hall, and lasted approximately two hours. More than 70 people, including four policemen, were injured on what became known as "Bloody Friday". Six people were arrested.[1]

On May 4, 1970, thirteen students were shot, four of them fatally, at Kent State University in Ohio by National Guardsmen as they protested the U.S. involvement in the Vietnam War and U.S. incursions into Cambodia. As a show of sympathy for the dead students, Republican Mayor of New York City John Lindsay ordered all flags at New York City Hall to be flown at half-staff the same day.

Shortly after the Kent State shootings, anti-war protesters announced that they would hold a rally near city hall to commemorate the four dead students. Brennan decided to organize a counter-rally of construction workers to show support for the Nixon administration.

At 7:30 am on May 8, several-hundred anti-war protesters[6] (most of them high school and college students) began holding a memorial at Broad and Wall streets for the four dead students at Kent State.

At 11:45 am, about 200 construction workers converged on the student rally at Federal Hall from four directions. Nearly all the construction workers carried U.S. flags and signs that read "All the way, USA" and "America, love it or leave it".[9] Their numbers may have been doubled by others who had joined them as they marched toward Federal Hall. A thin and inadequate line of police, who were largely sympathetic to the workers' position, formed to separate the construction workers from the anti-war protesters. At first, the construction workers only pushed but did not break through the police line. After two minutes, however, they broke through the police line and began chasing students through the streets. The workers chose those with the longest hair and beat them with their hard hats and other weapons, including clubs and steel-toe boots. Onlookers reported that the police stood by and did nothing.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 2:54 pm

ASS-P wrote:
... You're using " elites " in this Nixon/Agnew sense here , ASP , which is not the only way one can define the concert/that it has been used .

I am using elites in the Washington Post, New York Times, Harvard, Yale, and Berkley, Hollywood kind of way. There was also a cultural aspect of "I do not recognize my country anymore". Then it was long hair, acid rock and casual sex, today it everything that comes under the diversity label. Back then Nixon and Vice President Agnew exploited the resentments, today it is Trump. The idea that these resentments are manufactured shows a lack of understanding of how marketing works. The resentments have to be there to exploit and enhance. Where I grew up is the type of place the Hard Hat Rioters lived, where "America Love It or Leave It" decals on cars were common. Those guys grew up fighting in WWII when the idea of protesting an ongoing war your country was fighting was inconceivable.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 3:27 pm

GoonSquad wrote:

Great find. Thanks.

You usually only see film of the hippies and the anti war demos from that era. As the cliche goes the winners get to write history. Nixon and Agnew were forced to resign and the we lost in humiliating fashion in Vietnam so the anti war peoples version of events is the one that people who were not around then think of when they think of that era. The narrative goes something like this Peace and love and democracy triumphed as the country rose up against injustice bringing radical permenent beneficial change. That description was not country I was living in when all of it went down and the consequences from the 70's and beyond have been a mix of pretty good and pretty bad.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 3:54 pm

Last edited by GoonSquad on 15 May 2017, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 3:58 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

I am using elites in the Washington Post, New York Times, Harvard, Yale, and Berkley, Hollywood kind of way. There was also a cultural aspect of "I do not recognize my country anymore". Then it was long hair, acid rock and casual sex, today it everything that comes under the diversity label. Back then Nixon and Vice President Agnew exploited the resentments, today it is Trump. The idea that these resentments are manufactured shows a lack of understanding of how marketing works. The resentments have to be there to exploit and enhance. Where I grew up is the type of place the Hard Hat Rioters lived, where "America Love It or Leave It" decals on cars were common. Those guys grew up fighting in WWII when the idea of protesting an ongoing war your country was fighting was inconceivable.

Who says they're manufactured?

This sort of appeal came from George Wallace. At first he used good ol' fashion racism down south, but he switched to "coded language" when he got on the national stage.

Here's Wallace after losing the Alabama governor's race running as a moderate in 1958:
http://youtu.be/wLkCY0f73iE?t=34m53s

When there's a national audience, he talks about "state's rights" and federal overreach

http://youtu.be/wLkCY0f73iE?t=46m35s

and on his tour up North
http://youtu.be/wLkCY0f73iE?t=52m52s

It all comes down to right-wing politicians appealing to working class white men's hatred/fear of n****rs, commies, and hippies.

That doesn't make the strategy valid or morally justified.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 4:56 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
Who says they're manufactured?

This sort of appeal came from George Wallace. At first he used good ol' fashion racism down south, but he switched to "coded language" when he got on the national stage.

Here's Wallace after losing the Alabama governor's race running as a moderate in 1958:
http://youtu.be/wLkCY0f73iE?t=34m53s

When there's a national audience, he talks about "state's rights" and federal overreach

http://youtu.be/wLkCY0f73iE?t=46m35s

and on his tour up North
http://youtu.be/wLkCY0f73iE?t=52m52s

It all comes down to right-wing politicians appealing to working class white men's hatred/fear of n****rs, commies, and hippies.

That doesn't make the strategy valid or morally justified.

I read of a lot of coments on WP and elsewhere saying the conservatives are dumb just spewing out what Fox News or Rush Limbaugh say, that Trump supporters are not struggling but privileged brats who are too stupid to realize it. In the idealistic 60's the idea was if we just educate them the "ignorence" will dissolve in our more cynical times public shaming.

Let 's get all this back in context. This particular part of this thread started with a statement that the baby boomers destroyed our country and I am trying to point out that a most of the boomers were not part of the problem and but are victims of problems created by other boomers.

You are correct that a lot of politicians appeal to racism and say different things to different audiances. They are appealing to fear and actual consequences only some of which are due to bigotry. White women voted 53 percent for Trump so it is more then just about men. And do not get me started on left wing appeals to fear that bigots are everywhere conspiring to put diverse people down.