Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 8:10 pm

I've always loved pizza, but over the past couple years I haven't been able to eat it without really bad stomach pain and... bathroom problems, let's say. It never used to be this way. I could eat it all the time without that happening, but then I spent two years at a career school where they always served the blandest, most tasteless food imaginable, and when I graduated I found out that I have a really bad intolerance to garlic (I'm assuming it's garlic, since I can eat everything else on pizza just fine, but pizza itself is bad). I thought if I went back to my old eating habits it would go away, but now, three years later, it's still there. How did this happen, and does anybody know how to make it go away?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 8:31 pm

You might see if you have a lactose intolerance, as this is the most common difficulty for people as they get older.
I just bought some Lactaid pills to help deal with this issue myself.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 8:40 pm

That's not it. I can eat dairy just fine. There's just something in pizza (or similar dishes like calzone) that my stomach suddenly decided it doesn't like anymore. A couple days ago they brought pizza in for everyone and after eating two slices I spent almost an hour in the bathroom.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 9:22 pm

So you've already figured out you're sensitive to garlic, but even if it doesn't have garlic it causes you issues? Just a bit confused on that point. Anyways perhaps its an issue with the acidity of the tomatos in the sauce, that could be a possibility maybe.

My brother has issues with raw tomatoes but I would imagine someone could be sensitive to tomatoes in general.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 9:45 pm

20000-lbs-of-frozen-pizza-recalled

Listeria contamination of the cheese?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 5:17 am

Let's break this down:

It could be the lactose in the cheese.

It could be the gluten in the bread.

It could be the massive amounts of sodium from the tomato sauce, pepperoni ect.

The tomato sauce they use at pizza places is very acidic and hard on the stomach in big quantities, so that alone could possibly result in an upset stomach.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 10:15 am

My guess is the pizza has changed.

Try getting your pizza somewhere else, or making it at home, and see what happens.

(So weird - just as I typed this, the guy from King of Queens on the TV started talking and singing about pizza and toppings... :lol: ...)

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 10:23 am

http://lifehacker.com/the-best-cheeses- ... 1563386663
As this page explains, aged cheese has less lactose than fresh cheese like Mozzarella or Ricotta.

http://www.mensjournal.com/food-drink/r ... a-20151007
White clam pizza is a good choice if you are lactose intolerant.

peregrina
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 May 2017, 6:19 am

If it's gluten, you will react to other foods that contain gluten.
If it's lactose intolerance, then you will have problems with other dairy products.

Try an elimination diet to find out if you can.

My friend has same issues when she eats pizza. She finds that additives and preservatives used in commercially prepared pizza cause the problem. Pizza also contains a lot of processed meat, that means lots of chemicals.

If you really like pizza, try make your own.
I made mine today. I avoid processed meat. :)

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2017, 7:01 am

Go see a doctor. If it's gluten, going gluten free before blood tests might hide an intolerance. It's not normal to get the s**ts regularly like that.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2017, 9:33 pm

try eating less. and build up a tolerance.

try a different brand of pizza.

try eating each ingredient one at a time. isolation. and then when you feel an "intolerance", then you know which ingredient caused it.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

about 4 weeks ago, i was eating a Clif bar and it suddenly tasted way too sweet. it was like my tastebuds changed. maybe i am just getting old. 34.

usually, i ate 1 clif bar, 1 lemon luna bar. and one candy bar. kit kat, reeses, twix, butterfinger, or whoppers. per day.

but that day, all of a sudden, it tasted like a sweet taste in mouth lingering. paranoid about diabetes. but no other symptoms.