Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

snollygoster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 May 2017, 9:52 pm

Ever since I moved out of my parents house, my weight had started to drop. I was lethargic and moody because I wasn't getting enough calories. About a year ago, I decided to challenge myself to learn new skills and I decided to try to learn how to prepare my own food. REAL food, not the crappy instant meals I was living off of. As it turns out, I really like making cookies, cupcakes, and pies. I'm not an expert or anything, but it feels really nice to look back and see how my skills have slowly but surely improved over the past few months.
My weight has increased, and that's why I'm making this post; It's increased a bit too much. I've began exercising, push-ups, sit-ups, and squats every morning when I wake up. I also have a stationary bicycle i try to use everyday, but I'm still struggling with maintaining a healthy weight.
I want to keep improving my skills as a casual baker, how should I limit my food intake? I already try to give my finished products to friends, family, and work, is there anything else I could do to limit temptation?

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2017, 1:49 am

Get an Easy Bake Oven, and get all the accessories that go with it. Just use normal recipes for cakes, biscuits etc. and divide the ingredients in grams (easiest) or ml or whatever by the amount of servings that recipe gives, so you can only do one or two servings at a time.

Also, a lot of the time, unless the bakery items have lots of eggs in them, you can usually just skip the egg so you don't have to put in a tiny bit of egg!

I found this, and buying all the accessories for the Easy Bake Oven (when the pound to the dollar was a lot higher) to be tremendous fun. You can make mini pies and pizzas too.

For instance, this (old and very rare) kit contains the right tray to bake four mini cupcakes. Look at the picture, these are tiny and adorable. I had such fun with this particular kit, it was worth every penny. It's my favourite.

Last edited by smudge on 10 May 2017, 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2017, 2:07 am

The crappy bit is that it doesn't take a lot of baked goods to push you over the edge, weight-wise. It's just too many fast carbs.

I had to go gluten free and therefore had to learn to cook in a new way. After a year of eating crappy gluten free food I decided to make eating healthily a personal project, which turned into a special interest that's been with me ever since.

Now you've mastered baking, why don't you try to focus on improving your skills in the dinner and lunch and breakfast department?

Some inspiring blogs:

http://casayellow.com/

https://www.latartinegourmande.com/

http://thefirstmess.com/

http://bojongourmet.com/

http://whatshouldieatforbreakfasttoday.com/

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 5:31 am

I love cake, but sadly I can't think of a food that's more calorie dense, and less satiating at the same time. The key is moderation, no problem with eating a slice of cake, but if you're not mindfull, it's very easy to overindulge.

I don't have any tips on how though, I find cake hard to moderate, so I tend to pick other deserts like a bar of chocolate or some ice cream instead, cake just doesn't do it for me. I'll just end up eating the whole thing. :P

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 10:08 am

I freeze my baked goods and bring them to work to eat during lunch time.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 10:10 am

snollygoster wrote:
Ever since I moved out of my parents house, my weight had started to drop. I was lethargic and moody because I wasn't getting enough calories. About a year ago, I decided to challenge myself to learn new skills and I decided to try to learn how to prepare my own food. REAL food, not the crappy instant meals I was living off of. As it turns out, I really like making cookies, cupcakes, and pies. I'm not an expert or anything, but it feels really nice to look back and see how my skills have slowly but surely improved over the past few months.
My weight has increased, and that's why I'm making this post; It's increased a bit too much. I've began exercising, push-ups, sit-ups, and squats every morning when I wake up. I also have a stationary bicycle i try to use everyday, but I'm still struggling with maintaining a healthy weight.
I want to keep improving my skills as a casual baker, how should I limit my food intake? I already try to give my finished products to friends, family, and work, is there anything else I could do to limit temptation?

Wow, that's amazing. I was feeling so listless today, and I'm happy to say, you are my new inspiration for the week!

If you're cooking for yourself, you're probably already super-healthy. If you want to lose some more weight, maybe try putting more roughage in your cookies and cupcakes, to fill you up faster? And some fruit, perhaps? (Blueberries would be my choice ... mmmmmm....)

snollygoster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 May 2017, 3:22 pm

I've been looking into preparing non-dessert foods, but most actual "meal" recipes have notes on them that say "Serves 4-6 people." I live alone. I'd only be preparing food once a week or so.
Ive thought of inviting people over to cook a meal for them, but while I can bake pretty good, my skills at actual meal prep are not consistently successful enough to make a good meal in little time.
Does anyone have any recipe resources that make one meal at a time?

EDIT: I just had an idea. I have a cat, normally I feed him regular dry food, but are there any pet food recipes for cats I could make to practice? I know that some people have taken the time to make recipes that are dog-safe, are there any that are also okay for cats? The more familiar I am with the tools used to make meals the more my skill will increase, and I don't think Sweetie :cat: will mind being a guinea pig.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2017, 7:07 pm

I typically cut the recipe in half and cook meat dishes every day until it is all gone. Marinades are usually salty and preserve the food. Sort of like baking cookies, the actual cooking process isn't affected too much by the quantity you cook. If you don't like to eat the same thing every day, you could store the meat in the freezer after marinating it. I use plastic sandwich bags for this purpose. A day before I intend to cook it, I transfer it to a Corningware dish in the refrigerator to defrost. That way the marinade won't make a mess if the bag leakes. Corningware is very tough and resistant to accidents.

I suggest starting out with beef, as this meat tends to be the most forgiving of cooking errors. Pork and chicken need to be cooked properly to avoid disease. I use a cheap cooking thermometer to make sure food is properly cooked. Sometimes food cooks faster than I expect--if it has reached the proper temperature it is done.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2017, 12:46 am

I'm thinking of doing this tomorrow.

What I plan to do is brown off a steak, then add 1/2 a little saucepan of water, add salt and herbs, and cook it on a low heat for 2 hours.

Half an hour before serving, I'll boil some potatoes that have been cut up into small chunks.

Onto the plate with the spuds, slap the steak next to them, then drizzle over the reduced-down liquid from the steak, which will now be a nice gravy.

Anyone ever cook steak this way?

synthpop
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2017, 12:56 am

if you want to gain weight, you must do it in a healthy manner. there are fats that are healthy, like in peanut butter. don't gorge yourself with junk food in order to put on a few pounds–it may seem like a good idea, but you're just putting your body through hell by doing that. put on weight with healthy food. don't just eat everything you want!
calculate your TDEE to determine how many calories you can eat a day without gaining or losing weight, and begin to log everything you eat and the amount of calories everything contains. for a regular person, losing and gaining weight is as simple as eating below or above your TDEE. no exercise needed, really, unless you want to speed up the process of losing weight.
i suggest you invest in some healthy snack foods. almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, dark chocolate (70–90% cocoa, the lower the percentage the sweeter the taste), raisins, whole-grain crackers, fruit, etc.
eating healthily is super fun once you get into the swing of it!

Muziek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 May 2017, 12:33 am

Yes, I agree with Synthpop. Consider gaining weight the healthy way. However, it is totally okay to bake a delicious cake, cookies, or one of my favourites: an apple pie deluxe, as long as you don't eat it too often.

As a musical term for sure, "the '80s" imply the late '70s and early '90s. You can think of them as tapers of this golden decade.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 12:42 am

Muziek: apple pie deluxe? 8O :heart: :pig: :-D

Are you trying to make us posters hungry? :shameonyou:

Muziek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 May 2017, 1:06 am

Haha, yes, Alita. :)

Apple pie deluxe: with liquor soaked raisins, the bottom covered with a sugar-almonds cream, and whipped cream on top of the pie. :D

As a musical term for sure, "the '80s" imply the late '70s and early '90s. You can think of them as tapers of this golden decade.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 2:27 am

Where do you live again? :P

snollygoster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 May 2017, 7:56 pm

OH! I love making apple pie. :) I've used raisins before to complement the filling, turns out great! :chef:
Normally I'm very sensitive to flavors and textures, so it's nice that I get to make my own food with only what I like.

ShelbyRB
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 May 2017, 8:42 pm

snollygoster wrote:
I've been looking into preparing non-dessert foods, but most actual "meal" recipes have notes on them that say "Serves 4-6 people." I live alone. I'd only be preparing food once a week or so.
Ive thought of inviting people over to cook a meal for them, but while I can bake pretty good, my skills at actual meal prep are not consistently successful enough to make a good meal in little time.
Does anyone have any recipe resources that make one meal at a time?

EDIT: I just had an idea. I have a cat, normally I feed him regular dry food, but are there any pet food recipes for cats I could make to practice? I know that some people have taken the time to make recipes that are dog-safe, are there any that are also okay for cats? The more familiar I am with the tools used to make meals the more my skill will increase, and I don't think Sweetie :cat: will mind being a guinea pig.

Ah, see, you're thinking of it all wrong, in my opinion. Don't read it as "4-6 people". Think of it as "feeds 1 person for 4-6 days, when preserved correctly". Course, I'm a big leftovers eater.