Are you into going for a walk every day?

Page 2 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 5:38 am

C2V wrote:
But I really must start doing it. It's the best low-impact exercise you can do supposedly, besides swimming (which isn't possible unless you're ok with your body image). I recently got a license photo done and though I have been more active generally, I look like I've put on weight in the photo. It looks like my face is expanding, but my features are disappearing into a black hole in the middle. Good look. :roll:
S yeah, must start doing this for exercise ad fat-face issues. How does one enjoy it ???

Riding a bike is even better for low impact, and you can do it at running-level efforts. It might even help with personal issues - you have to be watching the road and traffic, and are soon gone.
As to how to enjoy exercise, sometimes the scenery and changing weather and seasons are enough. It can be combined with a hobby, like birding or photography, or treated like a sport. Personally, I was never fit until I started racing cars with my bicycle, which distracted me from how hard I was working. Some people exercise to music, with the beat supplying the incentive to keep up. More recently, I've just been recording improvements in speed and range, and enjoying the break from all the media. Walking or riding both provide a nice rhythm as a background for contemplations. When walking, I like to breath deeply in time with my legs - usually four steps in, four out.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 10:44 am

I need to start going for more walks. I'm overweight and it really does help my mood.

shadowtag
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 May 2017, 11:31 am

I usually do every day; it's a good time to consolidate my thoughts, as well as relax and get some exercise, though I have the added benefit of living in a quiet area.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 11:59 am

I go for walks almost every day, as long as the weather permits. I'm trying very hard to lose weight, so it's important.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 12:09 pm

It takes several hours a day to walk your way to fitness. The older I get, the more I notice that I have to do some strength and flexibility work too. Overall, I much prefer exercise built into my daily routine. Chopping wood is a dandy, and carrying water might be, too.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 12:14 pm

I just learned how easily I can get to the Willamette River walking trail. I'll walk more now.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 12:20 pm

I think the Willamette river is the bravest river in the world, because it rhymes its name with dammit. :-)

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 12:36 pm

Dammit, Willamette, I love you!
The river was deep, but I swam it.
Willamette

and so on...

ELance
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 May 2017, 1:24 pm

Bigmen once trod the land. If they now did, they should pound your home to crumbs. I go by foot to buy food; otherwise I abide my home. The heavy weight of man shall pound out beneath him from all the smallest beings the life. Though he steps happy, yet all else feels sad; he pounds the grass, murders the beetle; stirs the earth; frights the deer. May he abide his home.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 2:07 pm

No, I wish I had the whatsy (determination, stick-to-it-tive-ness, whatever) to walk everyday, cuz I truly love it (and I usually can't look-around / take-in, enough)----and, I often get-off the bus a few blocks from my destination, cuz I know how good walking is, for everybody, but.....

I DO exercise----and, have often wished I could get a stationary bike, for when there's inclement weather (I can't STAND the HEAT, during the summer - it just makes me faint, all-the-time, cuz I have such low blood pressure). I'm also wanting to bowl and / or swim (but, I can't afford the fees, right now)----cuz, then I'm exercising without knowing I'm exercising, cuz it's FUN (I don't like to exercise, if that's what it's called; meaning, I wanna do it, but not know that's what I'm doin' LOL).

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 2:29 pm

Bicycling is better. The slow pace of walking get boring. Walking equals more likely to sprain ankle

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 3:14 pm

I try to get a vigorous exercise walk up and down the hills of my local neighborhood, once per day, about 40 minutes' worth.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 3:50 pm

[[/i]

Last edited by naturalplastic on 27 May 2017, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 3:51 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Dammit, Willamette, I love you!
The river was deep, but I swam it.
Willamette

and so on...

Ohhh! BRAD!! !! :heart:

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

28 May 2017, 12:19 pm

This_Amoeba wrote:
Bicycling is better. The slow pace of walking get boring. Walking equals more likely to sprain ankle

Haha, this is very true. I actually was thinking of riding my bike instead of walking today. :lol:

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 12:33 pm

I'm all in favour of bicycling, and "waste" 80 km per week on mine, but they do have larger hazards than a sprained ankle. One woman I knew gave up her car, and thought she'd learned all about riding as a kid, and about traffic as an adult. One night she was riding downhill and saw a big pothole, too late to swerve. Any experienced rider would have jumped it, at least by the front wheel, but she slammed on the brakes and flipped. I always wear a helmet with a mirror.

The front brake can cause a somersault even without a pothole, so it pays to practice. The safe approach is to use the rear brake just a little bit, so you know it will slide if it is getting too light. Then you can squeeze on more front brake until the back skids and you have to steer to stay ahead of it, but not have to deal with it lifting off to warn you as well.

I'm not coordinated enough for any other sport, but get fascinated with how to get through traffic quickly, yet seldom using the brakes instead of coasting when a stop is required anyway. An experienced rider actually uses half as much oxygen as a beginner, when following them at the same average speed, although pedalling efficiency is a large fraction of that as well.