Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 4:37 am

Students support Autism Speaks

Quote:
Green Bank Elementary Middle School teacher Brooke Dickenson hosted a donation program last month for Autism Speaks.

April is National Autism Awareness Month, and Dickenson wanted students to be more informed about autism, while donating to a worthy cause.

“Autism Speaks is dedicated to promoting solutions,” Dickenson said. “They focus all across the spectrum and throughout the lifespan, for the needs of individuals with autism. It works with individuals and their families through advocacy and support, increasing understanding and acceptance of autism spectrum disorder, and advancing research into causes and better interventions for autism spectrum disorder and related conditions.

Dickenson set a goal of $200 and offered a reward for attaining the goal.

The reward would be a fresh air day for the entire student body.

I can think of a lot better uses of kids allowance money then increasing Autism Speaks riches. Shame on you teacher, instead of parrating Autism Speaks propaganda points, a better use of the time would have been discouraging bullying of their Autistic peers.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman