Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

RightSide
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 May 2017, 7:18 am

Hello everyone.

So, I always have been an insomniac - mostly due to my hyper-sensibility to light and noise (noise it's more problematic than light for me) but also due to anxiety - at least, I think is due to anxiety. This is because, whenever I sleep with someone (which relaxes me, I don't know why), I always have a good night sleep (that is, if there is no noise or light).
I discovered this since I started my relationship. Every time that I sleep with my girlfriend, I have a good night sleep. But every time that I sleep alone, it's a struggle. This also makes sense due to the fact that I, until I was around 13, used to sleep with my parents - and I would sleep just fine too.
The thing is I can't always sleep with my girlfriend and my sleeping problems are getting worse (without her, that is). I have been using sleeping pills to help - and they do - but I try only to use them twice or once a week because I know how problematic they can be.
So - does anyone know another solution for this, besides sleeping pills? It would be great to have a solution that I could use everyday and that wouldn't have an impact on my health. Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

PS: when I say sleeping pills, I mean the heavy stuff - I need prescription for them. All the other ones - Valerian, melatonin - don't work on me. Melatonin does something for a while, but it doesn't help me that much.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2017, 11:39 am

Blackout curtains in your bedroom so that your bedroom is so dark that you cannot see the otherside of the room. Play a clip of whitenoise on repeat on your phone face down (download the clip and play it offline so that it doesnt eat through your data). Remove any clocks from your bedroom. Avoid using your phone or computer an hour before bed.

Use your phone as an alarm clock to wake you up and get you out if bed at the same time everyday. You dont control when you go to sleep but you can control when yoh wake up and get out of bed. Keep a routine.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 May 2017, 12:23 am

I had problems sleeping alone too due to anxiety that started in my 1st relationship because it was long-distance & I didn't like the idea of sleeping alone. Having anxiety about not sleeping well started causing me to sleep bad which got worse as I did sleep bad. It turned into some other sleeping problems for me before I got it corrected. Being on anxiety medication helps some(I'm taking that because I have anxiety with other things). I would suggest talking to a psych or doc about it to address the possible anxiety aspect. The med Buspar helps my anxiety alot without side-effects but others may notice some or may not notice benefit. Other psych meds might could help too especially if you have OCD &/or depression too. Some psych meds can help with sleep. Counseling might could help too & if you like the cuddle when you sleep with someone(like I do) you could look into one of those special pillows that you can cuddle with(I never looked into it thou). The biggest thing that helped me was getting a girlfriend I could move in with but I totally get why it may not be possible for you rite now.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition