Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Breezy_Kimerly
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 May 2017, 2:59 pm

Hi there!

After both me and my husband's lives were filled with childhoods full of horrible schools, he was all on board with me homeschooling our baby girls.
I'm a slow learner. While hammering out a system for doing water changes for my fish tank every day, I flooded the floor 4 times.
Well, today, my phone was charging while I was doing a water change and I flooded the floor. Now, Husband is thinking maybe public school might be better. He's not sure I can handle the responsibility and stress.
The middle school we're in the district for is known throughout my city as being an awful school, filled with bullies. It gets a 4 on greatschools.

I'd like to homeschool. I'd like to give my girls the best. Honestly, though, I don't know if I can handle life and the responsibilities I have in it.

So, today I'm going crazy cleaning and doing "responsible" things. I know I can keep that up for about a week before a hard crash. Not ideal. I just need to learn how to live my life better.

I'm not diagnosed because I'm an adult and it seems incredibly hard and expensive but, does a diagnosis help enough to justify doing it?
Does OT help?
Who can help me learn how to Life now that I'm 28?

How do you cope with life? The variables of not having everything set up? Remembering to brush your teeth whether you had time for breakfast or not?
How do you keep clothes on little girls who hate clothes?

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 4:13 pm

Sounds like you have your hands full. It might be too difficult for you to homeschool. A diagnosis for you couldnt hurt. Dont get in to anything your not sure you can handle. Im sure your a good mom regardless and wish you the best of luck.

Breezy_Kimerly
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 May 2017, 7:28 pm

Thank you Sarahsmith!

beady
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 9:40 pm

I thought about homeschooling my children at various times during their childhood. They are all grown up now.
I am certainly intelligent enough to have worked it out but worried about them missing out on the socialization aspects since I am not at all good at that. I also debated whether I could handle the day to day pressure and demands. Children will often be more obedient/compliant and try harder for a teacher and in the presence of peers.
In some ways I wish I had homeschooled - my son was bullied and my daughter suffered with anxiety and still does but I wonder if it would have been even worse if she had not had to develop some coping strategies as she grew up.
Looking back now, I am sure all three benefitted from seeing the world from a different perspective than my own. Whatever decision you make there will be tradeoffs but you know yourself and your children better than anyone.
It might be useful to attempt to form your homeschool while your children are on summer break to see if you want to try it full time. There are so many more resources available now than there were 25 years ago

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2017, 12:21 am

Is there a way you can outsource certain tasks? Like paying someone to do housecleaning, and focusing on homeschooling?

Are your kids autistic? How would they do in a regular school?

Could you do home schooling part time and enrol them in some classes?

Just wondering if it has to be either/or.

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2017, 7:52 am

Breezy_Kimerly wrote:
Hi there!

After both me and my husband's lives were filled with childhoods full of horrible schools, he was all on board with me homeschooling our baby girls.
I'm a slow learner. While hammering out a system for doing water changes for my fish tank every day, I flooded the floor 4 times.
Well, today, my phone was charging while I was doing a water change and I flooded the floor. Now, Husband is thinking maybe public school might be better. He's not sure I can handle the responsibility and stress.
The middle school we're in the district for is known throughout my city as being an awful school, filled with bullies. It gets a 4 on greatschools.

I'd like to homeschool. I'd like to give my girls the best. Honestly, though, I don't know if I can handle life and the responsibilities I have in it.

So, today I'm going crazy cleaning and doing "responsible" things. I know I can keep that up for about a week before a hard crash. Not ideal. I just need to learn how to live my life better.

I'm not diagnosed because I'm an adult and it seems incredibly hard and expensive but, does a diagnosis help enough to justify doing it?
Does OT help?
Who can help me learn how to Life now that I'm 28?

How do you cope with life? The variables of not having everything set up? Remembering to brush your teeth whether you had time for breakfast or not?
How do you keep clothes on little girls who hate clothes?

I, along with my two older siblings were homeschooled. I attended kidnergarten through grade 3 and was homeschooled from 4 through high school. I am very grateful. We got some socialization in but we had each other to talk to so it was cool. In hindsight, I probably would have been institutionalized if I went all the way through public school. I did become introverted because of a lack of socialization but I was introverted before being homeschooled.

Our high school was online through a school called Penn Foster, so my parents only had to make sure we did our homework - we were very self sufficient students. All of our testing was taken online. As for middle school, I distinctly remember having a large book with an entire year's worth of cirriculum in it per year. I liked it. (So one book for grade 4, one for grade 5, etc. If I'm not mistaken it was identical to this book) My mum checked my homework for these grades but I imagine it wasn't terribly stressful for her. She did this while working full time.

The reason my parents chose to homeschool us was because of how terrible public school is - and this was more than 10 years ago.

I too think a diagnosis would help you. Also a lot of research and perhaps regular therapist/psychologist/psychiatrist visits, to figure out a plan for yourself. I mention psychiatry only if you feel medication will help in some way - like if you feel you need it to manage depression or anxiety.

And a note on part time public school enrollment - I remember, at least for high school, my parents were told that I either had to be enrolled as a full time student or not at all. The only exception to that was that I could take driver's ed for free because I was of age and lived in the school district.

I hope this helps, and I wish you the best.