Piers Morgan claims Lady Gaga uses mental illness as an acc

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 5:37 pm

Quote:
In a series of extraordinary remarks, Piers Morgan has accused stars including Lady Gaga, Madonna and the Kardashians of faking mental health issues for personal gain.

The Good Morning Britain host accused them of competing to “play the biggest victim,” said Lady Gaga uses mental health problems as an “accessory” and mocked her, claiming she had “every problem in the world.”

http://www.gaytimes.co.uk/culture/72350 ... accessory/

Does he have a point or is he cementing his reputation as an ignorant buffoon.? Isn't men feeling that they need to adopt a stiff upper lip a major part of the problem when it comes to men and mental health,and not something to be encouraged?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 11:57 am

What mental illness is she using as an accessory?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

13 May 2017, 12:13 pm

I think he has a point in that it most definitely is taken advantage of from a marketing standpoint, mild superficial mental illness is fashionable these days as you can see from how people collect different conditions to identify with in place like tumblr. Now what they really experience personally I don't know but the 'Lady Gaga' character was a marketing creation, she's not really that person IRL. Celebrity advocates more times than not seem to be there to promote themselves than any real cause. People obsess too much about celebrity, just shut up and sing or whatever.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 1:09 pm

If admitting to mental health issues becomes normative, instead of holding everything in, that seems like a good thing for society. The statistics suggest that perfect mental health throughout a lifetime is exceptionally rare.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 3:24 pm

A number of studies have demonstrated a link between creativity and mental illness. A few decades ago mental illness was thought to be something to be ashamed of. Public knowledge of a entertainer having a mental illness was often a career killer. Now in this social media, cable news era it the opposite, sharing everything "personal" is valued and it helps your brand (unless your mental illness causes you to act in a way perceived to be sexist, racist, homophobic etc). Of course, money is a motive behind some entertainers faking and exaggerating mental illness. But for a commentator to accuse somebody of faking mental illness is irresponsible, but it is an acceptable slur today.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 7:09 pm

Yeah, maybe he's right. Plus all the marketing plus Lady Gaga as such is an artificial character performed by stefania germanotta (or something. Don't fully remember).

But: *Claiming* all that definitely makes Piers Morgan an insensitive A-hole.

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 7:34 pm

I can't stand Piers, he is a slug and slime.

He is right about Gaga though, devoid of actual talent.

Look at me, I'm wearing meat as clothes.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 2:45 pm

Morgan is despised in the UK after he famously authorised the hacking of a dead girls phone and he also printed fake pictures of UK forces torturing an Iraqi. He was hounded out of the UK back then and he moved to America while things settled down but now he seems intent on saying as many controversial things as possible, he is so desperate to be centre of attention.

The guy is absolute scum and should get no airtime or breath wasted on him.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 12:49 pm

It's already painfully well established that Piers Morgan will say anything, regardless of the cost to anyone else, to be the center of attention.

That may be true of Lady Gaga et al as well, but...

...at least she produces music my kids like to dance to.

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 8:00 pm

So we are all agreed then?

Piers is a bellend.

Lady Gaga is a crap Madonna, and Madonna was pretty talentless, while we are being honest.

Both are crap and a sad indication of how our thirst for entertainment has wrought such brown, stinking idols for our worship.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2017, 1:57 am

Both Madonna and Lady Gaga are talented as business people and marketers.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 7:50 pm

I wonder which one of them behave like a real lady in public, because they blow their accessories against the media with such force and speed, its more than likely a loss of a lump sum that hails them down like the true gold diggar b*****s they are. Advocating for mental health are here some of the worst patrons I've ever come across in my whole life so far.
The royals are also slightly confused if they think that someone will suddenly wake up and take notice after everyone has known publicly about Dianas death since 97. How does Prince Harry think it affected me as a child and others then? It was probably the first public sorrowful funeral I was made to watch, and it went on all day, and it could have been a relative or someone the way my parents were acting. So, no, mental heath needs a full time advocate, not someone who's twitched and continually switched its manual probes in the media, that, Harry needs help, counselling, or whatever to face his fears of marriage and fatherhood. Get over yourself Harry, you're becoming soft. The county is at the weakest point in its trade history, and your dialogue stinks of mercy. The country have paid your royal families taxes and Diana was just a pauper like everyone else. She might have been someone if it weren't for them all suffocating her.
MIND, the mental health charity should also wake up to the millions of unemployed, homeless,bereaved, abused and true bereaved families with hardship, and help them to feel happy in the workplace or their individual living circumstances.
Its a sore point, not a talking one apparently. This needs to change.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 10:24 pm

Insensitive a$$holes say pretty much the same thing about us Aspies.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 10:26 pm

QuillAlba wrote:

Piers is a bellend.

Lady Gaga is a crap Madonna, and Madonna was pretty talentless, while we are being honest.

Both are crap and a sad indication of how our thirst for entertainment has wrought such brown, stinking idols for our worship.

I actually think Lady GaGa is a very talented young lady, and with a social conscience to boot.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 11:44 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

I actually think Lady GaGa is a very talented young lady, and with a social conscience to boot.

I agree. Both she and Madonna incorporated art and social messages with their music.

Lady Gaga isn't a "fake persona", but performance art. She's reaching out to others about mental illness as a personal way to connect with her fans.

Madonna was the forerunner, by challenging ideas about sexuality and religion in her hay day.

We need more artists like them, who aren't just churning out bland music written by formula.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2017, 7:38 am

QuillAlba wrote:

Piers is a bellend.

I have no idea as to the quality of their output but to be around the top of their chosen profession would suggest more than a bit of talent.

There are loads of artists who's work I can't stand, but can appreciate that many others do and so talent lies at the heart.