Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 7:40 am

As with racism, sexism and homophobia etc., I don't care about others' ideas and opinions even if they are aimed at me. Part of this is because I have been described in the worst ways possible throughout my life. After just several years of that experience, one gets immune to the effects of infantile "-ism war cries." Besides, I respect all opinions as they are expressed. I don't need to affirm or negate them; doing so is simply not my job.

My trick is to smile when confronted with an insult or opinion with which I disagree while thinking "Okay, if you must."

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

LjSpike
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 May 2017, 8:02 am

Interesting post. I think perhaps autism rights is just getting shunned to the background by all the attention-seeking more sarcastic movements (like the ten billion and one genders tumblr manages to come up with and the people who then take those seriously).

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 162 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 52 of 200
LINK: http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly10a.php?p1= ... =66&p10=74
-------------------
Score breakdown for RAADS-R
Total: 185.0 | Language: 17.0 | Social Relatedness: 90.0 | Sensory/Motor 45.0 | Circumscribed Interests: 33.0
LINK: http://www.aspietests.org/raads/questions.php

TUAndrew
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 May 2017, 3:14 pm

firemonkey wrote:
Isn't it time all this bickering stopped, and proper recognition was given to the wide spectrum in terms of ability and functioning? It's not about a 'cure' or 'non cure' but tailoring things to the individual on the spectrum. For some that may involve a 'cure' or more likely an improvement in that which impairs and restricts their lives. For others, more able,it's a recognition of their abilities and the positive contribution they can make to society, and not being dismissed just because of a label.

There needs to be an ASD movement that supports the needs and wants of all on the spectrum and not just factional groups often at odds with each other.

Idealy you could choose what happens with your Autism when you're around 18 yrs old (and even that 'cure' would be controversial), but unfortunately if there is a cure it would likely be enforced on both the lower and higher spectrum as the people deciding who gets it will be parents who know little or nothing about Autism.

autistichoya wrote:
I'm the person who wrote the blog post linked a few comments upthread. I just want to clarify my opinion on medical diagnoses -- I don't think that a person's choice or desire to get a medical diagnosis makes them automatically classist/complicit in the medical-industrial complex/etc. I think that treating people who have medical diagnoses as more validly/authentically autistic than people without those diagnoses is, at least in part, classist

Of course we should welcome and accept people who are undiagnosed as I know people who have had to go through long and disrespectful diagnosis procedures before they could finaly get a diagnosis. It's at that time in their lives that they need the support of WP and similar communities more than ever. But that's not the same subject as creating a two-tier diagnosis system.

Quote:
and contributing to the medical community's gatekeeping power over defining autism.

Well yes, the medical community does have a gatekeeping power over Autism because if we allowed Autism to lose its scientific credibility then we'll leave it open to people like Michael Savage; people like this would have us believe that Autism is fake and just a conspiracy created by pharmaceutical companies. Or instead of Savage there could be the anti-vaxers or PETA who believe that Autism is caused by vaccines or milk. There may also be a kind of cultural appropriation which would twist autism from its roots.

Instead of rejecting or bypassing medical diagnosis, I think a better solution would be to campaign to make it easier for people to gain a diagnosis and the later support regardless of their age, class, gender, sexuality or ethnicity.