Major Ransomware attack on Windows 10 computers worldwide

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 12:18 am

If you're using Windows 10, there is apparently a major computer virus spreading around the world right now, infecting computers in more than 90 countries in the past few days. It's being called "WannaCry" and functions as "ransomware" that encrypts files on your computer without your knowledge and then denies access to them unless you pay money to the hackers.

Lot's of stories online -- here's one from the BBC:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39901382

There Are Four Lights!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 6:43 am

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 9:55 am

The HUGE problem with ransomware is that you WON'T be able to use Malwarebytes or ANY other program at all. Just after the BIOS boots in, the ransomware takes over, completely highjacking your computer with some stupid notice that says you need to call the number listed and pay $300 to get rid of it. PAIN IN THE A**! It happened to me twice because of infected torrent files I'd downloaded. It sucks, but the way to get rid of it once you've been infected is to reinstall Windows. Very inconveniencing.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 1:50 pm

Good thing I still have a previous version.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 9:22 pm

Darmok wrote:
If you're using Windows 10, there is apparently a major computer virus spreading around the world right now, infecting computers in more than 90 countries in the past few days. It's being called "WannaCry" and functions as "ransomware" that encrypts files on your computer without your knowledge and then denies access to them unless you pay money to the hackers.

Lot's of stories online -- here's one from the BBC:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39901382

This is why it's important to back things up.It also doesn't hurt to keep a spare computer around. It gives you the freedom to tell those ransomers what to do with themselves.

But these people are usually hoping to target businesses and institutions with sensitive information. Personally I think this type of crime should be met with severe punishment, particularly when they affect hospitals and medical institutions, where the randomsware could put someone's life at risk.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

13 May 2017, 9:53 pm

thank you NSA

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 10:02 pm

Jacoby wrote:
thank you NSA

^You can try to deflect it, but we know all the ransom money is going into the secret Russian hackerz account that Putin set up to control Trump through LSD-infused vanilla ice cream smuggled into the White House kitchen. Open your eyes and you'll see the truth.

There Are Four Lights!

SonicMisaki
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 10:43 pm

Wow, are you serious?! :?

Please, people with W10 computers like myself, stay away from any potential sources of ransomware, and keep your computer as healthy as you can. Best wishes that this will pass!

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 12:14 am

Someone figured out the Achilles heel of the ransomware program and slowed the attack. All they had to do is register a new website domain name that was listed in the code. From what I understand, the program was built to activate when it could not connect to a non-registered website address. It does not fix the damage to those who were already hit though and there are already other versions that exist without this critical flaw.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/13/technol ... index.html

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 7:30 am

Why not just simply use Linux instead of Windows? I didn't even know about this ransomware attack until a few minutes ago. --Hasn't affected me in the slightest.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 1:51 pm

Lots of updates this morning. I suspect that the NSA has shared more about the stolen list of vulnerabilities with Microsoft.

ETA, 8 minutes later, they weren't kidding, saying, This will take a while.

46 minutes later, I'm at 95%

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 2:40 pm

Because of hidden references to the story of Esther, I believe that Stuxnet affected systems, working in tandem with modernday Persians.

After hearing that Wannacry was downloaded by torrent, it makes me wonder whether that affects digital pirates.

Quote:
... informally known as the “six strikes” initiative, CAS issues warnings to subscribers engaging in copyright infringement as many as six times before the ISP can actively impede their bandwidth.

The state has publicly expressed an interest, in tampering with your service, when you take their movie propaganda out of it's given context.

I don't use Windows, don't find myself watching these things, at the height of their popularity, am not experiencing any direct interference, do have a slower connection, over the last few days.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 2:46 pm

Finished!

Just kidding!