DJT talks Economics with The Economist

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 1:24 pm

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted already. Lots of stories out there, but I particularly like this one in the Tribune.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opin ... olumn.html

This section did stir some fear.

Quote:
I'll skip right to the end where he wandered into addressing the charge that he broke a campaign promise when he declined to label China a currency manipulator. "You know," he said, "since I've been talking about currency manipulation with respect to them and other countries, they stopped."

Fact-checkers jumped in to correct this assertion, too. It's been several years, well before Trump announced his run for the presidency, since China has been deliberately undervaluing the yuan. But what made this boastful misstatement particularly notable was the quick interjection of Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin, who was on hand for the interview along with several other Trump advisers.

Rather than gently correct the record or even maintain a dismayed silence, Mnuchin adopted the role of enabling toady. "Right," he said. "As soon as the president got elected they went the other way."

It's one thing if DJT's ignorance and vanity extend to a subject which interests me; I assumed that it did. However, to have him surrounded by people with legitimate credentials supporting his rambling nonsense does frighten me.

The individual parts make me laugh, but the whole cycle of events looks more tragic with each passing day if those tiny hands turn the steering wheel of our economy.