Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 12:12 am

I have had a lot of difficulty finding something positive to say, or thinking of something funny, or even silly. Most of what I say sounds deep, logical, philosophical, dull, strangely poetic, exaggerated, left-field, and heavy. People around me have been very disinterested in what I have to say. I have a hard time getting into sports (but I have exercised), a hard time getting into vine videos, I don't go to social gatherings, and I can hardly sing.

In some ways I feel like I should have picked R2-D2 as my avatar, but I'm still rambling.

There have been times when I could think of something that I believe would make me laugh, however, at those times someone could either think I'm out of control or insane, or perhaps that I was being mean or sarcastic, or that I actually was serious, or they are annoyed and frustrated, or they didn't see get the pun in the first place.

I can't answer this question logically. I have no idea why I am so sad and depressed, and not actually happy, silly, and funny. I have a great life, and yet I'm not funny. I do have a part-time job, and I am almost finished with earning my associate's degree. Do any of you on Wrongplanet know what could help me find a sense of humor?

Synic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 May 2017, 3:57 am

I sometimes watch videos of stand-up comedy and tell those jokes to other people. That usually makes them laugh.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 4:54 pm

There are many brands of humour. Many people consider me 'serious' and 'dull', because I tend not to engage in silly hi-jinks or make light of most situations I'm in. However, I will sometimes make dry, witty observations and I am a big fan of puns. I will typically be far more comfortable making jokes with people I share an emotional connection with.

Also remember that not everyone in a given group needs to be a jokester. Some folks simply have a more serious demeanour. I, too, sometimes think of something funny to say, only to let the appropriate moment to say it slip past me. If most people don't appreciate your particular sense of humour, tough for them. The paramount thing is that you can laugh at it yourself, as one of the functions of humour is to put the absurdity of life into perspective. Forcing yourself into a mold that doesn't fit you will only lead to more awkwardness. Hope this helps a little.