Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Moccu
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 May 2017, 7:44 pm

My parents have kept my bicycle in their shed for a while, and I just got it back so I could get back into cycling for leisure, except, I didn't know there were so many rules for it on and off the road!

I've just learned that in Ontario, you can't casually cycle on the sidewalk on an adult-sized bicycle, as it's considered a vehicle. You can get fined for this.

I've lived in a suburban/rural type of neighborhood for most of my life, where people wouldn't blink at you for riding on the sidewalk slowly with your kid, or on your own if the sidewalk is mostly clear of pedestrians.

I currently live in a high-rise apartment on my own, and it's close to a busy road that I'm way too scared (for my safety) to ride on.

Does anyone have safety tips or warnings to give to a newbie cyclist?

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 7:53 pm

I used to have a bike when I lived in Budapest, it's a bigger city than the one I currently live but I felt way safer cycling there than here.

If there is stabilized laws about cyclists, I think at least the others vehicles will respect you more – in my area, it's awful because bigger vehicles just have the feeling that you shouldn't be on the road, so they can even be a bit aggressive.

Did you checked the laws about what kind of equipment should your bike have? Like number/position of lights and reflectors, kind of brakes, etc.

There isn't any option to avoid the main/bigger road and go by smaller streets? I did this until I got used.

Try to see how the other cyclists behave and follow them, like if they go by the side of the road or they just occupy the space as they were a regular vehicle.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 7:54 pm

Wear a reflective vest and helmet.
Cycle early mornings when there's no traffic with the appropriate lights fitted.
Here, you can take your bike on the bus - don't know if that's an option where you live, but it means you can bus to another, less busy area and back.
Research where the cycle lanes/bike paths are in your city.

Moccu
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 May 2017, 8:11 pm

ltcvnzl wrote:
I used to have a bike when I lived in Budapest, it's a bigger city than the one I currently live but I felt way safer cycling there than here.

If there is stabilized laws about cyclists, I think at least the others vehicles will respect you more – in my area, it's awful because bigger vehicles just have the feeling that you shouldn't be on the road, so they can even be a bit aggressive.

Did you checked the laws about what kind of equipment should your bike have? Like number/position of lights and reflectors, kind of brakes, etc.

There isn't any option to avoid the main/bigger road and go by smaller streets? I did this until I got used.

Try to see how the other cyclists behave and follow them, like if they go by the side of the road or they just occupy the space as they were a regular vehicle.

I've looked up some of the laws in Ontario and am searching for videos to educate myself further on the topic. I don't have a helmet at the moment, but I will definitely invest in one asap before I even consider going on a fast road.

My bike doesn't have a horn, and it has reflectors on the back and front, and some kind of flashlight I haven't used on one of my handles. I have 2 working brakes as well. I'm not sure if the tape on my bike is reflective or not (I generally avoid riding at night, so I haven't confirmed).

I'll just post the model that I have.

There's a long stretch of sidewalk along the busy/hectic road that I mentioned, that turns to another long (right-side) sidewalk; downhill to a mellow neighborhood.

Moccu
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 May 2017, 8:24 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Wear a reflective vest and helmet.
Cycle early mornings when there's no traffic with the appropriate lights fitted.
Here, you can take your bike on the bus - don't know if that's an option where you live, but it means you can bus to another, less busy area and back.
Research where the cycle lanes/bike paths are in your city.

Since I live in a building, I've already been trying to figure out a good time to carry my bike out through the elevator, without getting in the way of other people by taking up space.

I'm not even sure if my bicycle (comfort/lady series, lol) can really compete with crazy traffic and cyclers with hardcore bicycles. Early mornings sound like a good idea to avoid all of that.

The buses around here do offer bicycle-racks in the front for travel. I haven't seen that many people actually using it, though.

It's worth considering to travel a bit further out to find a true bike-path, that's undistrupted by walking pedestrians and terrifying cars.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 8:38 pm

Moccu wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:

I've looked up some of the laws in Ontario and am searching for videos to educate myself further on the topic. I don't have a helmet at the moment, but I will definitely invest in one asap before I even consider going on a fast road.

My bike doesn't have a horn, and it has reflectors on the back and front, and some kind of flashlight I haven't used on one of my handles. I have 2 working brakes as well. I'm not sure if the tape on my bike is reflective or not (I generally avoid riding at night, so I haven't confirmed).

There's a long stretch of sidewalk along the busy/hectic road that I mentioned, that turns to another long (right-side) sidewalk; downhill to a mellow neighborhood.

One of my bikes is a Schwinn (except it's the male version).
I have special reflectors that cover the spokes and give high visibility in all conditions.
Like these:

Also have the front and rear mounted lights and a bell.

Moccu
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 May 2017, 9:25 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Moccu wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:

One of my bikes is a Schwinn (except it's the male version).
I have special reflectors that cover the spokes and give high visibility in all conditions.
Like these:

Also have the front and rear mounted lights and a bell.

Ohhh, that looks nice on the wheels. I think my bike is too ill-equipped for the dark, I haven't put that much money in to mine for accessories.

Do people get annoyed by the bell if/when you use it?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 9:30 pm

I use it to warn pedestrians when I approach from behind because we have shared bike/walking paths here.
I think they like to be warned.
Sometimes when I don't use it and just go past, they get a fright, especially older people.
If you don't have a bell, you call out, "coming through on the right." Or whatever.
I belong to a cycling group and they're big on the communication/etiquette aspect of cycling.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 May 2017, 8:05 pm

I live in the city which has rules about bicycles but most cyclist don't follow them. They're not supposed to be in the sidewalk but lots are & when they actually are in the road they are not following the traffic rules. They decide to go rite when I start walking cuz the crosswalk says go & they nearly hit me like they're playing a game of chicken. I wish the rules would be better advertised & actually enforced.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Moccu
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 May 2017, 11:48 pm

nick007 wrote:
I live in the city which has rules about bicycles but most cyclist don't follow them. They're not supposed to be in the sidewalk but lots are & when they actually are in the road they are not following the traffic rules. They decide to go rite when I start walking cuz the crosswalk says go & they nearly hit me like they're playing a game of chicken. I wish the rules would be better advertised & actually enforced.

In a city I can understand that they should only use the road, not the sidewalk, unless they are just walking with their bike.

I've heard there's a lot of hate between drivers and cyclists (due to rules not being followed or road rage), and pedestrians just kind of fall in the middle.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 11:57 pm

^ You can follow the rules to the letter and still receive hate.
When I used to do proper road cycling, we would often get abused or have things thrown at us because we were riding two abreast, even though it is permissible by law.

Moccu
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 May 2017, 10:48 pm

Raleigh wrote:
^ You can follow the rules to the letter and still receive hate.
When I used to do proper road cycling, we would often get abused or have things thrown at us because we were riding two abreast, even though it is permissible by law.

Since this post, I've gone out on my bike a few times.

I've noticed that the average person on a bicycle around here rides on the sidewalk, I haven't seen many people using the road or walking their bikes on the sidewalk if they're on it.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 8:34 am

Technically where I live (va), people are not allowed to cycle on the sidewalk, but it isn't enforced and no one cares. For my safety I cycle on the sidewalk and slow down or pull over for pedestrians.