I'm new to this website and I'd like to make some friends

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Tom Parker
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 May 2017, 12:18 am

As my profile indicates, I'm a 17 year old male high-school student and my interests are jazz, philosophy (and intellectual matters more broadly), literature, video games and speaking with similarly-minded individuals. To this day I've never had any particularly close friends and I'm a loner at school. I'd love to talk with anyone who is willing and if we get along I'll add you on Facebook.

Feel free to chat with me or add me on Facebook

Facebook profile: https://m.facebook.com/?hrc=1&refsrc=ht ... r.71404976

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 5:29 am

On my behalf, welcome to WP. c:

Tom Parker
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 May 2017, 8:30 am

whatamievendoing wrote:
On my behalf, welcome to WP. c:

I like the Kurt Cobain quote in your signature; I can't stand people like that who are so blind to their own lack of identity.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 2:46 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 10:14 pm

welcome to wrong planet
I myself also hold an interest in philosophy and other intellectual matters.

Imagoldfish
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 May 2017, 12:10 am

Hello Tom. I am 25 and I work in a factory. I like jazz a lot and have played it here and there for about 13 years. I especially like the newer fusiony sounds like weather report and Herbie Hancock. I enjoy reading too. Mostly fiction. This is my first post on this website! Welcome.

Tom Parker
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 May 2017, 6:14 am

Imagoldfish wrote:
Hello Tom. I am 25 and I work in a factory. I like jazz a lot and have played it here and there for about 13 years. I especially like the newer fusiony sounds like weather report and Herbie Hancock. I enjoy reading too. Mostly fiction. This is my first post on this website! Welcome.

If you like fusion make sure that you check out "Snarky Puppy", Chris Potter's "Underground", "Vulfpeck", "Kneebody", Brian Blade's "Fellowship Band" and Chick Corea's "Return to Forever". You can PM me or add me on Facebook if you want to chat more.

Tom Parker
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 May 2017, 6:16 am

yelekam wrote:
welcome to wrong planet
I myself also hold an interest in philosophy and other intellectual matters.

Do you have favourite philosophers or writers? Socrates is an idol of mine; I love his moral steadfastness, humility and ability to perceive the most subtle of contradictions in arguments and beliefs.

ASNerd
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 May 2017, 3:08 pm

Do you have favourite philosophers or writers? Socrates is an idol of mine; I love his moral steadfastness, humility and ability to perceive the most subtle of contradictions in arguments and beliefs.[/quote]

Socrates is really good at perceiving contradictions in arguments. That's what I like about him, but I just learned about Lucretius and i think his beliefs are spot on.

Tom Parker
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 May 2017, 5:43 pm

ASNerd wrote:
Do you have favourite philosophers or writers? Socrates is an idol of mine; I love his moral steadfastness, humility and ability to perceive the most subtle of contradictions in arguments and beliefs.

Socrates is really good at perceiving contradictions in arguments. That's what I like about him, but I just learned about Lucretius and i think his beliefs are spot on.[/quote]

I haven't read anything of Lucretius, tell me about him.

ASNerd

22 May 2017, 6:54 pm

I haven't read anything of Lucretius, tell me about him.[/quote]

I read about him in "The Swerve." He was a follower of Epicurus. He was an atheist in that he was indifferent to the gods. He believed religion was a superstition and things were created by atoms crashing into each other. those were very advanced ideas in his time period.

Tom Parker
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 May 2017, 12:02 am

ASNerd wrote:
I haven't read anything of Lucretius, tell me about him.

I read about him in "The Swerve." He was a follower of Epicurus. He was an atheist in that he was indifferent to the gods. He believed religion was a superstition and things were created by atoms crashing into each other. those were very advanced ideas in his time period.[/quote]

Interesting, if I remember correctly it was Democritus and another philosopher who are cited as having conceived the idea of the atom or the indivisible particle. And who was Epicurus? Feel free to add me on Facebook (link is in 'my signature' below this comment) if you'd like to talk further since this mode of messaging is quite inefficient.

ammeavid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 May 2017, 10:26 am

Hello! I'm new here too and you seem pretty cool.