Disenchanted? A Pastor & a Born-Again Pagan Discuss | Tim Ke

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 11:00 am

Really neat dialog, particularly on how well they stick to relevant concerns and really pouring over what the real purpose of belief seems to be. It seems to fit well with the outlook I've come to - ie. that formulating a standardized template such as a religion has a lot to do with a culture finding consensus on where it wants to go and crafting an ideological vessel that stands a chance of actually getting there. I'm on lunch break from work and I'm hoping to take a quick nap so I won't say too much more for now. Definitely enjoyed listening.

Disenchanted? A Pastor & a Born-Again Pagan Discuss | Tim Keller & Anthony Kronman

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 6:13 pm

Quote:
KELLER: I would say ancient people whether Christians or not had a sense of the world as a gift...

KRONMAN: ...being able to say thanks in an adequate way [is] not built into the horizontal experience of human gratitude in the way it is vertically if you accept the doctrine of the Incarnation.

--Tim Keller and Anthony Kronman on the Incarnation

I would say grace makes that possible without demanding acceptance of the doctrine of the Incarnation.

I look forward to watching the video and seeing things posted here...