Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 12:26 pm

Each year, nearly 20 billion sanitary pads, tampons and applicators are dumped into North American landfills every year, and it takes centuries for them to biodegrade inside plastic bags, according to a 2016 Harvard Business School report. Additionally, it requires high amounts of fossil fuel energy to produce the plastic for these products, resulting in a large carbon footprint.

But a team of students led by University of Utah materials science and engineering assistant professor (lecturer) Jeff Bates has developed a new, 100-percent biodegradable feminine maxi pad that is made of all natural materials and is much thinner and more comfortable than other similar products.

https://phys.org/news/2017-05-sustainab ... y-pad.html

I wonder what the ladies think about this.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2017, 12:53 am

firemonkey wrote:
Each year, nearly 20 billion sanitary pads, tampons and applicators are dumped into North American landfills every year, and it takes centuries for them to biodegrade inside plastic bags, according to a 2016 Harvard Business School report. Additionally, it requires high amounts of fossil fuel energy to produce the plastic for these products, resulting in a large carbon footprint.

But a team of students led by University of Utah materials science and engineering assistant professor (lecturer) Jeff Bates has developed a new, 100-percent biodegradable feminine maxi pad that is made of all natural materials and is much thinner and more comfortable than other similar products.

https://phys.org/news/2017-05-sustainab ... y-pad.html

I wonder what the ladies think about this.

As long as it's leak proof, comfortable, and affordable, I generally don't care if it's biodegradable or not. We throw our trash in landfills here, where it gets buried and compacted and they eventually build expensive houses on top of it. Sure biodegradable isn't a bad idea, but what these people really need is reliable sanitation services, and that is not anything an NGO can fix because NGOs cannot fully compensate for the failure of government.