Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

jesswah
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 May 2017, 9:22 pm

Hi! New here...

I'm 33, F, and lately been thinking more about whether or not I have Asperger's. It was something my mom & sister suggested to me a few years ago, but I wasn't really ready to hear it at the time (they presented it like "you're defective and need to change"; did not go over well). Been thinking more about it lately, but still sitting on the fence. Some of what I read really fits me to a T, other things not at all. Then again, I don't remember a whole lot from growing up, so if my mom and sister strongly suspect it... well... maybe they're right.

At any rate, I'm here. I've struggled with depression for >20 years, but my current psych thinks it's probably bipolar. But I keep it together well enough to (mostly) blend in, I think.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 9:34 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

puzzledoll
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 May 2017, 10:07 pm

Hi! If you aren't sure and want to know get a diagnosis. That's what I finally did at 40. If you "might" be bipolar and can function off meds bipolar (most meds for depression are a bad idea if you are bipolar) you would most likely be bipolar 2 like me. It tends to run more to the depressive side with hypomania instead of full mania. I manage it with minimal meds.

jesswah
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 May 2017, 8:28 am

puzzledoll wrote:
Hi! If you aren't sure and want to know get a diagnosis. That's what I finally did at 40. If you "might" be bipolar and can function off meds bipolar (most meds for depression are a bad idea if you are bipolar) you would most likely be bipolar 2 like me. It tends to run more to the depressive side with hypomania instead of full mania. I manage it with minimal meds.

It would be Bipolar 2. I've been treated for depression for many years, but not all that effective. New psych added a mood stabilizer and that made a world of difference; part of why she thinks I might be Bipolar.

Richardf269
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 May 2017, 4:31 pm

I've had to deal with depression for at least 30 years. Not fun.