Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

zoe_101
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 May 2017, 10:48 pm

Hey everyone -

I'm not sure if anyone has ever had this issue before, but it's really been bothering me. I was diagnosed recently (about 3 months now) and my parents seem to think that I was wrongly diagnosed, or that I don't really have it - even though a trained psychologist assessed me and said that I have it. My mother has been quite persistent by bringing up the fact that I really hate school, and how this probably impacted this diagnosis - though the psychologist has stated "The diagnosis was made mostly on her history".

This is really frustrating to me.. it's as though they're taking this as a joke. I've gotten to a place where I can present myself to the world and seem okay, but they don't realize the internal struggle and pressure I put on myself to appear this way everyday. To have my parents (who I care about a lot) dismiss me like this is quite hurtful. They go further by saying things like "I bet you just wanted the fast pass for the amusement park this summer, right?" or "are you sad it's *just* mild, or did you want something worse?". It's really tiring to put on this act, but it's been so long, I don't even remember how to act the way I feel..

Anyways.. any advice? Anyone else have a similar experience with their parents?

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 9:34 pm

A lot of parents are in denial at first. For some, it goes away, but for others it doesn't.

My parents helped with my diagnosis. In fact, according to a thing THEY filled out, I was well into the "moderate ASD" category (though I don't have an official functioning level). But a year after my diagnosis, my dad still said that I do not have aspergers.

3 months is a short time. Maybe you just have to give them some time to come to terms with your diagnosis, though it can be hard. Now, about 3 years after my diagnosis, my parents no longer say that I do not have Aspergers. They still don't say that I have it, just that I have a diagnosis of it, but at least they don't deny it anymore.

What really helped my parents accept it more is my going to a program because of my diagnosis. Now, my parents think of it like "This diagnosis doesn't change anything. Our child just needs some help to live a better happier life, and this diagnosis makes help available."

Tom Parker
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 May 2017, 4:22 am

zoe_101 wrote:
Hey everyone -

I'm not sure if anyone has ever had this issue before, but it's really been bothering me. I was diagnosed recently (about 3 months now) and my parents seem to think that I was wrongly diagnosed, or that I don't really have it - even though a trained psychologist assessed me and said that I have it. My mother has been quite persistent by bringing up the fact that I really hate school, and how this probably impacted this diagnosis - though the psychologist has stated "The diagnosis was made mostly on her history".

This is really frustrating to me.. it's as though they're taking this as a joke. I've gotten to a place where I can present myself to the world and seem okay, but they don't realize the internal struggle and pressure I put on myself to appear this way everyday. To have my parents (who I care about a lot) dismiss me like this is quite hurtful. They go further by saying things like "I bet you just wanted the fast pass for the amusement park this summer, right?" or "are you sad it's *just* mild, or did you want something worse?". It's really tiring to put on this act, but it's been so long, I don't even remember how to act the way I feel..

Anyways.. any advice? Anyone else have a similar experience with their parents?

No advice. Your parents are as*holes.

Feel free to chat with me or add me on Facebook

Facebook profile: https://m.facebook.com/?hrc=1&refsrc=ht ... r.71404976

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 8:50 am

248RPA wrote:
"This diagnosis doesn't change anything. Our child just needs some help to live a better happier life, and this diagnosis makes help available."

8)

That is a great reply to anyone accusing us of wanting to have a disorder. "We do not want the disorder. We have the disorder. We want the diagnosis to get the help we need."

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol: