Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

SonicMisaki
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 11:15 pm

Hey there.

I had a discussion about my coursework with my mother, and afterward, we started talking about how I would always fold or wring my hands whenever I walked, particularly when we went out shopping last week or, in the past, many times throughout middle and high school. She suggested that she really wanted me to not do that while walking, and the talk ended up bringing me to these articles:
http://www.askmen.com/grooming/project/top-10-ways-to-show-confidence-with-body-language.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/11937158/Body-language-how-to-look-confident-and-powerful-unlike-George-Osborne.html

My mother believes I don't look comfortable folding or wringing my hands while walking and that I look like I could be a victim or target. Instead, she suggested that I try keeping my arms to my sides and moving them in stride while walking.

What are your thoughts on posture and walking confidently? What do you feel you can do to be comfortable in your own skin?

fselzr
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jun 2017, 6:18 pm

For me walking confidently is walking in my own tempo, walking relaxed or in the way that I want to walk in. If I have a jacket, then I hold my hands in the jacket's pockets. Otherwise I never hold hands in pants' pockets, because that makes me feel to look suspicious, then I walk with swinging arms like the average people do. It's best to stand straight oftest as possible, because it's just healthier for your spine. Having crossed arms or a phone in hand is completely fine. And don't listen to her, she isn't in your body and brain. She got to understand clearly, respect and accept your cons and there is no other way than that.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 7:53 pm

When I'm out walking in public, I hold my keyring in my right hand and flip the keys back and forth. it's actually just a disguised version of common autistic hand-flapping, but it looks like just an absent, lost-in-thought gesture.

But then I also rock back and forth on the toes and balls of my feet while waiting in cues, so there's no suppressing a determined stim - but it's less obvious than the hands-in-pockets, side-to-side Stevie Wonder swaying that I usually do. :D

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 9:17 pm

My Dad was a distance runner.
From him, I learned a whole lot of tips about
posture, walking, taking steps, arm position, and running.
Having learned, I feel quite confident about the way I walk
and am comfortable in my skin.

I don't resent having someone else teach me something.
It's good to at least give some things an honest try.
Improvement is a good thing. :)