Fox News commentator uses kid as example of snowflakes

Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 12:16 pm

League_Girl wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Now here's the thing, theories aside. The full video coverage of this in no way shows any bad behavior from the kid whatsoever. He was smiling and gave Pence a high five.

This is what happened as I see it, and anyone who's ever been around little kids knows how this works.

It was noisy and Pence couldn't hear the little kid and therefore wasn't responding, so the little kid started following him around repeating the same thing. Little kids always do this. They always keep saying the same thing over and over until they get acknowledged. That's all it was. Typical normal little kid behavior.

When Pence finally heard the kid he seemed very fatherly and said he was sorry the way dad's do over something stupid. It was like a really sweet and tinder looking moment. Now I'm not that great at reading facial expression, but it was blatantly obvious this kid wasn't angry at all and wasn't being obnoxious.

Except the kid was ten so that is way too old for that behavior but autism is a developmental disorder so kids with it will be behind socially and act younger than their age. It's pretty tough growing up with immature emotions and social skills and always getting yelled at about it and being told you are acting (insert younger age here) and being told to grow up and being told to quit whining or crying and being invalidated and being told to stop. That was my life. Then my mom wondered why I had anxiety by 6th grade about how to act and not knowing how a 6th grader should be acting. But all that stopped after my diagnoses in 6th grade.

I've noticed how some adults on forums alternate between telling me how mature I am for my age, to calling me immature a brat and that I need to grow up.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 12:20 pm

I'm 23 & still get that a lot too.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 12:23 pm

League_Girl wrote:
So the kid has been learning social skills so I think him going after Pence telling him he owes him an apology is definitely learned behavior because that is what he was probably been told himself when he hits someone even if it's by accident. I think that is common in autism. They are so adherence to the rules and will make sure others follow them too. So Fox should have been reporting it as a cute story about how kids sometimes know more than adults do about how to behave and adults can learn from kids sometimes. It's especially cute when your child corrects you about how old they are when you lie about their age so you wouldn't have to pay their admission but if the boy in the video was four years old or five, he would have gotten away with it and not be called a snowflake. It would have been seen as a cute story. But why isn't it cute when an older child corrects other adults about their behavior? Why is it seen as negative?

Here's the mom saying exactly the same thing:

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 2:00 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I will say what I said when it was the left using Barron Trump make a point. Kids should never ever be used to make political points period no ifs, ands or maybes. It is bad enough parants drag thier kids to demonstrations because it makes a cute photo ops, the host was mocking the kid a the commentator was calling the kid names on national TV. These two need to been fired like just like thr SNL writer who tweeted a joke about Barron Trump.

League_Girl wrote:
Where does it say he has autism? I looked for other sources and none of them mentioned it so I will assume this is just your assumption.

(I'm one of those people, who asks where songs, sayings, and customs come from
-- in other words, why do we do that, say that, etc.)

To the best of my understanding, Rosie O'donnell first speculated that Barron Trump was autistic. :roll:

I actually think that kids are good examples of snowflakes, because many of these so called subcultures are possibly being dragged into debates, through no fault of their own, by busybodies.

Willie Lynch, in "Making of a Slave", had supposedly divided people, based on trivial differences, so they would attack eachother. It is also possible to mother people, when that is unwanted. In other words, to single someone out, as a victim of circumstance, who must certainly need you to be their advocate.

It is still an example of objectifying others, using them as a pawn, when offering them unwanted help, to make yourself look or feel good. Someone who is literally handicapped or disadvantaged in real life, may still have pride. But, imagine, if you have no problem, whatsoever, and are being singled-out, that way. Let's say someone is handing you crutches and trying to feed you from a bottle.

I know that I'm hard on women, sometimes, but question whether she wants her own babies.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 2:45 pm

The only people who were wrong were the commentators and they have owned up to it in a lot more then the usual "sorry if I offended anybody".

Autistic is not the issue here, adults should not be calling any kids names especally on national TV.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 3:13 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The only people who were wrong were the commentators and they have owned up to it in a lot more then the usual "sorry if I offended anybody".

Autistic is not the issue here, adults should not be calling any kids names especally on national TV.

Amen to that!

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2017, 11:11 am

I wonder how some of these irresponsible kids got political beliefs, even if they are outspoken activists. Who puts them up to that.

You then say, don't question that rhetoric, it's just a kid.

The alt-right also uses total misfits, to represent it's cause.

You then say, don't question that rhetoric. It's just an innocent minority member.

I find that women, mothers, and wives, are also used as gatekeepers.

You think that people are enlightened, and they are empowering you, when being used as rodeo clowns and bait dogs.

Most of these people should probably be sheltered from the consequences of their actions, when you are using them as human shields, like autism is being used as a cause célèbre.

You could play the same game with any physical or mental trait -- set the person up to be a victim, and rescue them, from an ivory tower of your own making.