Fox News commentator uses kid as example of snowflakes

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2017, 12:44 am

This autistic kid was attending an event when Vice President Pence accidently clipped him lightly on the head. The kid went around the room demanding an apology from Pence which he recieved.

Fox News Contributor Slams An 8 Year-Old As A Stalker Snowflake Who "Needed A Safe Space"

Quote:
TAMMY BRUCE: I guess we're giving birth to snowflakes now, because that looked like that kid needed a safe space in that room.

BILL HEMMER (HOST): Is this a different time or not?

BRUCE: It is a bit, the eight year-old pretty much stalked the vice president afterwards. He wasn't even -- the headlines said he was "hit, he was struck, he was smashed, he was bumped." The fabric on his sleeve touched his nose maybe. He stalks the vice president, says, "you owe me an apology." This is like he was channeling [University of Missouri professor] Melissa Click wanting to get some muscle into the room. This is crazy. Now look, he's seen it either on television, maybe he's seen it at home perhaps, but he felt aggrieved because, I don't know, the vice president maybe slightly touched his nose. It's pretty amazing.

I will say what I said when it was the left using Barron Trump make a point. Kids should never ever be used to make political points period no ifs, ands or maybes. It is bad enough parants drag thier kids to demonstrations because it makes a cute photo ops, the host was mocking the kid a the commentator was calling the kid names on national TV. These two need to been fired like just like thr SNL writer who tweeted a joke about Barron Trump.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2017, 11:08 am

Where does it say he has autism? I looked for other sources and none of them mentioned it so I will assume this is just your assumption.

The kid reminds me of the time when my son was two, he was playing in a play area and he barely touched another girl and she started crying claiming he had hit her and I just ignored it. Some kids overreact when something barely touches them.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2017, 11:14 am

FOX NEWS HOSTS MOCKED BOY WITH AUTISM WHO ASKED PENCE FOR APOLOGY (AND HAVE NOW APOLOGIZED)

Quote:
Hemmer added that he thought someone probably taught him how to demand an apology. But the boy's mother, Dr. Ingrid Herrera-Yee, appeared on CNN's The Lead hosted by Jake Tapper to refute the Fox News characterization of the moment that went viral because it was cute.

"Michael is 10 years old, he is on the autism spectrum, he's a military child and he loves the White House, he called it the people's house," Herrera-Yee said to Tapper. "For those who don't have a child with autism, they need to really rehearse and a lot of their therapy involves practicing social interactions."

Bruce apologized for her comments calling the 10-year-old a snowflake Tuesday morning on Fox's America's Newsroom. "I am so sorry to the family," Bruce said. "My intention was never to hurt a kid or his mom, we had absolutely no idea that Michael was on the autism spectrum... A main lesson here, no matter intent, is to leave kids out of our political discussions."

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2017, 11:38 am

I do think the kid's behavior was a bit over the top, but that could be do to social difficulties, and using him as an example of a snowflake is just wrong. Adults are fair game because they usually know what they're doing. Leave kids out of it.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2017, 1:31 pm

The kid didn't know how to get out of the way. I saw his Mom on CNN. She verified that he does have autism and she was pissed at FOX.

But seriously, kid, back up.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2017, 10:07 pm

This whole thing says more about Fox than about this autistic boy.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 1:17 am

Video of Apology

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 1:55 am

androbot01 wrote:
The kid didn't know how to get out of the way. I saw his Mom on CNN. She verified that he does have autism and she was pissed at FOX.

Some kids with autism, like me for instance, have impairments regarding spatial awareness. Backing up, moving aside and the like don't register very well, if at all.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 2:37 am

I don't understand. I've never heard people call each other snowflakes. What does that even mean?

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 2:45 am

EzraS wrote:
androbot01 wrote:

Backing up, moving aside and the like don't register very well, if at all.

Yeah, I know. Same here. Like I said, kid needs to learn to back up.

He was being a snowflake. He missed a cue to back up (because he has autism.) The solution to this is not that he should never be called upon to back up, it is that he should learn to do so.

Demanding an apology from Pence is an embarrassment.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 2:48 am

Redxk wrote:
I don't understand. I've never heard people call each other snowflakes. What does that even mean?

It's a term used mostly by the Alt Right, and various other right wing populists to denigrate their opponents for allegedly being too fragile and sensitive. If truth be known, their hero, Trump, is the biggest snowflake of them all, as he flies off the handle in a twitter storm whenever anyone criticizes him, or just looks cross eyed at him.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 2:51 am

androbot01 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
androbot01 wrote:

He was being a snowflake. He missed a cue to back up (because he has autism.) The solution to this is not that he should never be called upon to back up, it is that he should learn to do so.

I dunno - I think it means the Vice President is answerable even to the least of citizens. If the kid thinks he deserved an apology, then it was only right that Pence give it.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 4:53 am

androbot01 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
androbot01 wrote:

A kid can't be taught not to have impaired spatial awareness. You can't teach someone to change or repair their neurology. Your attitude with this and other situations, seems to be a kid should know better than to be autistic, and it indicates a woeful lack of knowledge or understanding of autism. Not to mention how provoking it always is.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 5:31 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
androbot01 wrote:

I dunno - I think it means the Vice President is answerable even to the least of citizens. If the kid thinks he deserved an apology, then it was only right that Pence give it.

It's not about politics, it's about making autistic people look like fools. I'm sure the kid was just doing as his mother has taught him, but she needs to rethink her teaching if she wants her child to be more self aware.

EzraS wrote:
A kid can't be taught not to have impaired spatial awareness. You can't teach someone to change or repair their neurology.

I'm not saying the impaired spatial awareness will disappear. I am saying that one needs to learn to cope and compensate for the impairment. Hopefully the kid will learn from this and know how to react next time, which is what he should be encouraged to do. Not running around pestering an adult with nonsense.

EzraS wrote:
Your attitude with this and other situations, seems to be a kid should know better than to be autistic, and it indicates a woeful lack of knowledge or understanding of autism. Not to mention how provoking it always is.

Your attitude indicates you seem to think autistic people are incapable of learning and self-improvement. Having spent my life as an autistic person, and hence, knowing a bit about it, I can assure you that both are possible, even for your hapless autistic stereotype.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 5:50 am

Washington Post: Fox News contributor apologizes for mocking 10-year-old boy with autism as a ‘snowflake’

Quote:
Herrera-Yee, who has a PhD in clinical psychology, said that when she saw her son ask for the vice president's apology, she saw something positive: her son applying countless hours of practice to the real world.

This is why ABA is not as useful as proponents would suggest. It encourages scripted behaviour rather than teaching the kid to use judgment.

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 6:15 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Redxk wrote:

It's a term used mostly by the Alt Right, and various other right wing populists to denigrate their opponents for allegedly being too fragile and sensitive. If truth be known, their hero, Trump, is the biggest snowflake of them all, as he flies off the handle in a twitter storm whenever anyone criticizes him, or just looks cross eyed at him.

It's not just the "alt-right." I use it (sparingly) and I'm just a smidge right of center (although with how far left everybody else is I'm basically a fascist by comparison). And it's used for people who were obviously never told "no" as a child. There are people at my school who want to fire the very good professors we have that are here because they are world-renowned, just because they're not black and they think we should have more black professors. Even though half of the professors here are already non-white. Or that, even though there's already Affirmative Action, they need to prioritize accepting black students more. In an area that is mostly white. And despite it being a mostly-white area, the college is already super racially diverse compare to the rest of the area. Also, somebody writing "Trump 2016" in chalk on the sidewalk is now a hate crime. So yes, I will use the term "snowflake" to refer to people like that. I have no problem with liberals as long as they're rational people. Actually, I don't like extremists on either end. And not everybody who voted for Trump worships him. It was really a "pick which snake you want to be bitten by" election.