Writing statement of purpose for grad school entry.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Karmorda
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 May 2017, 5:45 pm

Any tips for writing statement of purpose for grad school applications? I'm stressing out about this. Looking to get my masters in history. I think I've got everything down pat in terms of GPA, letters of recommendation, GRE scores etc. And the schools im looking to get into (oklahoma state, oklahoma university and university of central oklahoma) arent ivy leaque level But I'm stressing out about statement of purpose. I just don't know what to write. I did pretty good in undergraduate but nothing spectacular about me stands out. And I've read you should empathize your long term goals, and I well don't really have long term goals I kind of take my life step by step.And I've already had trouble writing positively about myself. So when I sit down to write my mind either blanks or I come up with really cliche badly written stuff like 'History has always been my passion in life!'

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 9:13 pm

Write about what you've been studying (especially any independent dissertations you may have been working on). Let them feel that history is your passion through your infectious enthusiasm for what you've already been studying.

You should also stop to think about why you want to go to grad school. Is it because you have a natural dedication and enthusiasm for the subject or is it because you're unsure of how to make your way in the real world? If it's the latter, I would recommend some sessions with a careers adviser.