Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

L3ChatNo1r
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 May 2017, 10:21 pm

This is my first post here. My boyfriend suggested I should join an autism forum because it would be a good outlet for me, and I figured it was a good idea and that I should give it a shot.

I guess I should give some background information. I'm 26 and was diagnosed with ASD shortly before my 25th birthday. It was absolutely no surprise to me because I had always known that there was something wrong with me. But like many women with Asperger's (I prefer to use that label even though I know it is now outdated), all of my issues had been repeatedly dismissed and/or misunderstood by teachers, health care professionals and supervisors. Before being evaluated, I had just been fired from three jobs in a row due to the fact that I was asking too many questions about my responsibilities. I have a Bachelor's degree in Psychology and was always able to do well in school, but difficulty understanding verbal instructions (I now understand that is an Aspie thing) has always made job success difficult.

Getting a diagnosis was a big relief to me and I'm glad that I now have access to services like the DVR. However, I've found that most of the people who are designated to help me there know very, very little about autism and though I have had two internships through them so far, I'm still having the same difficulties I've always had in the workplace.

The main one being that my co-workers and supervisors do not like me and as a result, I am dismissed when I request help and the workplace is just a generally uncomfortable place for me. I understand that people are not going to like me and that's fine, but it is frustrating because I know that it is due to the fact that they don't understand me or my condition.

I have disclosed the fact that I have autism to my supervisors and been open about the issues I generally tend to have in the workplace. I have told them that co-workers do not understand that I am on the spectrum and misinterpret my behavior as me being lazy, rude, irresponsible, etc. They tend to complain behind my back about things I have trouble with or do wrong instead of confronting me about them. Wherever I work, the people always have a ton of problems with me, but when I tell them about my condition (at the right time), they tend to be a lot more understanding. I realize it's not my bosses' responsibility to look out for me or to disclose my diagnosis to everyone, but I told them that they have my permission to tell others about it if they are having problems with me, and to please tell me if anything I am doing or not doing is becoming problematic.

Well, this has been totally futile the same s**t keeps happening. Everyone there is extremely rude to me and exclude me from work-related events and meetings. My questions are rebuffed and my requests for extra help and accomodations are ultimately ignored. My assistants/job coaches from the DVR do not believe that this is going on or that it is a legitimate problem worthy of attention.

Did I mention that this is an organization whose mission is to assist people with disabilities who are facing discimination? And that my co-workers are all roughly twice my age, most of them with children, and they still see no problem with being passive-aggressive, gossiping, etc.?

I am partially venting but would also like to know if anyone here has any suggestions about how to navigate the workplace. I mean, I feel like what I'm asking for is reasonable, or at least that others here can relate to my frustrations. Any advice or feedback is appreciated.

1Biggles1
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2017, 11:40 pm

Hey :)

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. Yes it is quit ironic that you work for an organisation that combats discrimination but discriminates in the work force. Put whatever label you like on things, people will still be people... It can be difficult to get a message across as people generally view from the outside and with high functioning autistics there is often very few outward signs that there are any problems hence the heightened discrimination because people need to see something different to be able to understand something different.. i am 41 and pre diagnosed 2 years ago. I have been quit open in the community here about it as i want people to approach me for dialogue on the truths about the spectrum from one persons point of view rather than what is perceived through media or what people hear...
It is very much a battle and i sympathize greatly... Maybe you could do a talk about it one day with your colleagues similar to a whittled down version of a ''TedEx''. As verbal and visual representation would help greatly with their understanding... I think this may be the ''best'' approach. There are other approaches but i feel this may be the best way to get a message across as you will have control of the situation and everybody will be listening intently...Not only will they have a better understanding of yourself but a better understanding of the spectrum as a whole... It may not be easy, but better an hour standing in front of people than a constant daily bombardment...
I am sorry if this is not that informative but feel deep down especially in the line of work you are in the best possible approach. Also this way you are not having to repeat yourself like a broken record individually to each person at a given time...

I wish you all the best :)

(And Welcome to WP :) )

The_Blode
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 May 2017, 1:23 am

im in the same boat as OP...met with hr multiple times...they told me i must reflect before i react...i tend to react instinctively which im not sure if we aspies do this by design but it is genereally a bad trait in business...and as a result of OPs points re exclusion...i have become more conservative at work and self protective...thats not what im suggesting you do...but this has helped me...hope it works itself out foryou

question what is dvr?

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 4:09 pm

The_Blode wrote:
question what is dvr?

Division of Vocational Rehabiliation? I think. I had to look it up.

I'm sorry to those going through this, especially the OP since you're supposed to work for an organization against this. :? If this is in the U.S. I would see what your legal options are. It's illegal to refuse to reasonably accomodate a disabled person when they ask for help. I'm not saying to sue them but sometimes it seems like NTs will only take actions when they're forced by a higher authority to do so.