Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 1:33 pm

'Enduring' is very easy but how do you define ' severe'? Is it dependant on diagnosis as some would argue or on degree of impaired functioning,irrespective of diagnosis, as others would argue?
Often it's stated as being bipolar,depression and the schizophrenia spectrum disorders or psychotic illnesses.
Using that criteria I might not qualify as severely mentally ill but that is counterpointed by my being on a depot antipsychotic primarily used for psychosis but also used for people with autism spectrum disorder.

If it's based on impaired functioning then the picture changes. I am especially impaired on the interpersonal/social interaction front but with problems also in other areas. That impairment would indicate a severe condition under those terms of defining 'severity'.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 2:34 am

Do you want an answer? The answer depends on the context; if this is to help you fill out a form, understand a description of symptoms, or some other directly clinically related medical/psychological purpose, I suggest asking the doctor for clarification.

Generally speaking, a psychological condition is severe if it prevents or greatly inhibits your ability to pursue basic life functions relative to the majority of people in your society: hold a job, hold a conversation, feed and dress yourself, etc.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 6:26 am

starkid wrote:
Do you want an answer? The answer depends on the context; if this is to help you fill out a form, understand a description of symptoms, or some other directly clinically related medical/psychological purpose, I suggest asking the doctor for clarification.

Generally speaking, a psychological condition is severe if it prevents or greatly inhibits your ability to pursue basic life functions relative to the majority of people in your society: hold a job, hold a conversation, feed and dress yourself, etc.

I was looking for opinions/thoughts . It's not to fill out a form etc. In my case I am significantly impaired on the social interaction front, and have never worked.
Thanks for replying.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 1:20 pm

I've barely worked, so I feel you I think.

I was so impaired before by my low self-esteem and my anxiety and being overmedicated with stuff I had to take or my doc wouldn't give me my Celexa, but CBT helped a lot. So did Celexa.