Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Sylvan2007
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 May 2017, 9:02 pm

Have any of you with a form of autism ever feel extremely different from everyone around them? Because I myself have Asperger's Syndrome and its extremely tough to find others with my diagnosis close to the same as me. I feel like so much like a stranger everywhere I go and I feel like I truly don't belong among anyone. Wish I knew others out there who feels the same. Sometimes I feel like just crashing and shut down forever. Hope to hear from someone about this.

biostructure
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 4:17 pm

Sylvan2007 wrote:
Have any of you with a form of autism ever feel extremely different from everyone around them? Because I myself have Asperger's Syndrome and its extremely tough to find others with my diagnosis close to the same as me. I feel like so much like a stranger everywhere I go and I feel like I truly don't belong among anyone. Wish I knew others out there who feels the same. Sometimes I feel like just crashing and shut down forever. Hope to hear from someone about this.

I feel like that a lot of the time--I feel like an outsider even in aspie groups. There are several reasons for that:

1) My emotions work differently. I'm intense and very "romantic", in the sense of wanting to read some kind of abstract, perfect beauty into things. Some of this may be because I have always had something like mild, sub-clinical bipolar. Whereas, the majority of aspies seem if anything more even-tempered than the average NT. Probably as the result of this, almost everyone else lacks the same early-childhood history of lashing out physically that I had. While they seem to have a lot less inner restlessness than I do, they also (as a result of not learning it at a young age) seem to have less of an ability to cope with whatever aggression/restlessness they DO feel.

2) Most aspies still had interest in socializing as a kid, and also were interested in things like movies that center around the human condition and human interaction. Whereas, as a kid I was completely fixated on physical systems, trying to understand how they worked. I would sit on the swings by myself, throw balls into alleyways and watch the pattern of the bounces, etc. Not because I was rejected by the other kids, but because I had no interest in most of the games they were playing. Now, as a young adult, I have finally become interested in other people, but their experience with connection is on such a different level, I feel like a kid who wants to play tag who wandered onto a football field in the middle of a game.

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 May 2017, 7:12 pm

Sylvan2007 wrote:

What would you consider the same? I have a definition for myself and it isn't something I have come across completely, although in certain venues I have found others with certain features/traits that were close to my definition.

Ljj5000
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 May 2017, 7:25 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that. I feel different because of my autism too. I'm pretty sure that I have a mild form of autism. My autism makes me feel different from others. I realize that autistic people tend to be the butt of jokes so that has a lot to do with it.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 8:24 pm

I have always been in private school for autistics and I still don't really connect with anyone there either.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 8:56 pm

Yes... :lol: I never truly felt 'home' or 'belonged'. I could barely relate, and I always feel alien.

No amount of friendship, trust, respect, esteem, merit, or love could truly grant me of that. :| Not even inclusion, conditionally or unconditionally.
Not even unconditional love, and a true equal is very rare even if I did found one.
Never at any crowd, not even with full of misfits.

Maybe, just maybe, deep down, I've been ready for it. Yet I'm still waiting for a time for it to fullfill.
And meeting an equal -- maybe it's enough fill for a decade or three for me. :lol: Even if meeting one is unplanned, unsought, and unexpected -- which did happened.

Yet still. It's the only thing that is a 'gap' or missing in my life.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.