I'm scared of walking alone outside after 9pm

Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 7:16 am

In my city girls are often told to not go out on their own at night (unless of course they can handle themselves). I often don't as there are far too many idiots on the streets, then again we have British drinking culture which typically tends to lead to dangerous situations.

I much prefer going out to clubs and stuff when I have a friend with me who can do some actual damage, for example I have a really tough lesbian friend I go out with sometimes and you always feel safe going out with her as she doesn't take crap from anyone and she's thrown guys through tables and walls before. So, in my eyes the concept of having only a male to defend you is a bit boring and old fashioned, it just depends if the person can handle themselves or not, if not then don't go out on your own in a rough city, simples.

For actually going to a shop or something on my own late at night in the city I live in I simply don't do it. You can have all the street smarts in the world but it takes that one time to completely mess your life and mental health up and I won't put myself at risk seeing as I'd basically become a target and not a person for the f****d up individuals who are willing to selfishly ruin someones life.

WallflowerAsparagus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 3:33 am

I'm the same.
I am also just about as anxious when walking abour during the day. I recently got the courage to go for regular walks for excerise around my neighbourhood in late afternoon/dusk and I still get catcalled.

A lot of people out there don't think so, but catcalling really is a form of sexual abuse. If someone is making sexual remarks towards me or catcalling, it's scary. Is this person going to stalk me? Are they going to ask me suggestive things? Are they going to get mad when I say I'm not interested... what are they capable of when they are mad?

Being afraid to walk around at night alone as a woman is understandable. It's a shame and disgrace that there are people out there that make us feel have this fear.

I had one woman yell out to me from a front yard telling me I "looked hot" once. I was not sure what to make of this, I assumed she must have been making a mean joke, so I continued walking and she yelled out again so I turned to look in her direction and she said in an apologetic way that she meant to say that I looked really, really nice and smiled at me. I thanked her, smiled and continued. My back brace makes me look more confident and attractive I guess because I wasn't wearing flattering clothing. XD

You are not alone in your fear. :heart:

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 156 of 200.
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 56 of 200.
RAADS-R score: 175.0
Artist | INFJ-T | heterodemisexual.

WallflowerAsparagus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 3:34 am

I'm the same.
I am also just about as anxious when walking abour during the day. I recently got the courage to go for regular walks for excerise around my neighbourhood in late afternoon/dusk and I still get catcalled.

A lot of people out there don't think so, but catcalling really is a form of sexual abuse. If someone is making sexual remarks towards me or catcalling, it's scary. Is this person going to stalk me? Are they going to ask me suggestive things? Are they going to get mad when I say I'm not interested... what are they capable of when they are mad?

Being afraid to walk around at night alone as a woman is understandable. It's a shame and disgrace that there are people out there that make us feel have this fear.

I had one woman yell out to me from a front yard telling me I "looked hot" once. I was not sure what to make of this, I assumed she must have been making a mean joke, so I continued walking and she yelled out again so I turned to look in her direction and she said in an apologetic way that she meant to say that I looked really, really nice and smiled at me. I thanked her, smiled and continued. My back brace makes me look more confident and attractive I guess because I wasn't wearing flattering clothing. XD

You are not alone in your fear. :heart:

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 156 of 200.
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 56 of 200.
RAADS-R score: 175.0
Artist | INFJ-T | heterodemisexual.