Help with senior year and college

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Squirrelspan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 May 2017, 9:55 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I have a 17 year old son diagnosed in 2009 with high functioning autism. He has attended at a boarding school for the past 1 1/2 yrs to help academically but also socially. He thrived at the school and it was perfect. However, the school will close so I have to find a school for his senior year.
Just to give you a bit of background my son is actually social and would live to be more social but social anxiety kicks in and affects him. He has OCD and have worked on it for years so that is a bit controlled, however, he's a perfectionist and demands the best from himself. So in school he has always been called "the perfect student" (prepared, serious, works super hard and demands only the best of himself).
To me, is a worry that keeps coming back to me once he hits college since college is already demanding.
His weakness is language (of course) and understanding it at times. Mix that with OCD which he might get stuck on words it's a bit worrysome (if in the wrong environment).

My question for all parents with a child like mine or someone who is in the spectrum and has gone through this, is,
Would you consider or have considered a boarding school or a regular school to finish high school or would you recommend considering a boarding school that might teach a trade or any other skill after high school.
I guess my concerns are:
-College demands and anxiety
-Getting a boarding school away from home for just one year.
-Getting a boarding school with some sort of trade but limiting him on knowledge
I mention boarding schools because where we live there are no school that can help us (been there so many times).

Any input would be greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2017, 10:16 am

Have you asked your son what he wants to do? What are his aptitudes and special interests and do any of them lead to viable career paths?

I think it's good that you're being pro-active about your son's future but your approach needs to be in touch with what your son wants as well otherwise your efforts will go in one direction, his in another and, most likely, neither of you will get what you want.