Toucan
Toucan

23 May 2017, 1:47 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
BaronHarkonnen85 wrote:
Lintar wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
BaronHarkonnen85 wrote:
Bring back the Emperor. Republicanism is the rule of lesser men.

Trolling or just an enemy of the Enlightenment and western civilization?

So you believe that if a person happens to be a monarchist they are, by default, "an enemy of the enlightenment and Western civilisation"? This is what's known as a non-sequitur. Republics tend to be politically unstable, and often result in tyranny.

Yes, I'm actually a classical liberal and a constitutionalist. But it's should be obvious what the history of abolished monarchies is:

Nazi Germany
Soviet Union
Reign of Terror in France. The French are now on their fifth republic.
People's Republic of China
Military Junta of Brazil
Military Junta of Greece

And many monarchs, even those who were absolutists, supported the enlightenment. Google "enlightened despots" or Frederick the Great of Prussia.

I love how you assume that one must be unfamiliar with those events in order to disagree with monarchism. :roll:

You forgot one on your list, the USA. Overthrew their 'rightful' monarch, seem to have managed fairly well without one ever since.

The US seceded. They didn't overthrow the monarchy, and last time I checked, there was a civil war about 80 years later that killed 600,000 Americans.

I never assumed you were unfamiliar with the event. I was simply pointing them out. But my point remains, monarchism is not anti-enlightenment.

Why is it better to have an elected head of state? It's a perfectly reasonable question to ask, and it's perfectly reasonable not to want a politician as your head of state. The government already has enough politicians.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 5:16 pm

Up with monarchy!

This silly republican democracy fad has obviously run its course. :D

Religious Americans proclaim that the Universe is a monarchy. So why cant they accept the obvious? That their country should be a monarchy too?

Go figure!

BaronHarkonnen85
Toucan
Toucan

25 May 2017, 9:49 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Up with monarchy!

Religious Americans proclaim that the Universe is a monarchy. So why cant they accept the obvious? That their country should be a monarchy too?

Go figure!

Is that sarcasm?

But yes, I do want it to be a monarchy. I don't want the head of government and head of state to be the same person.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 1:05 pm

BaronHarkonnen85 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Up with monarchy!

Go figure!

Is that sarcasm?

But yes, I do want it to be a monarchy. I don't want the head of government and head of state to be the same person.

Had the sneaking suspicion that you were putting everyone else on, so I chimed in with sarcasm as well. Lol!

But apparently you're serious, but what you want is not ancient type absolute monarchy, but constitutional monarchy (like they have in modern Britain , and in modern Japan). The monarch is basically the person who hosts the foreign dignitaries who come over to visit, and doesn't really have any power. Head of state, but not the head of the government.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

25 May 2017, 7:52 pm

Brazil is not a good situation, it appears to be a failed state and failed democracy with all encompassing corruption. I don't know what a military coup would entail, I know Brazilians have bad memories of it but realistically is voting going to make things better? Pretty much all your politicians have been caught with their pants around their ankles in terms of corruption, I'm honestly impressed with the independence of the police and judiciary in light of such unfathomable corruption. I don't think US politicians are much less corrupt but they are much better protected from the law, they have a different set of rules than us regular citizens.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 8:01 pm

Jacoby wrote:
I'm honestly impressed with the independence of the police and judiciary in light of such unfathomable corruption. I don't think US politicians are much less corrupt but they are much better protected from the law, they have a different set of rules than us regular citizens.

Good to see you're in support of the Russian probe, since that's just our judiciary and police doing their jobs as well.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

25 May 2017, 8:32 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
I'm honestly impressed with the independence of the police and judiciary in light of such unfathomable corruption. I don't think US politicians are much less corrupt but they are much better protected from the law, they have a different set of rules than us regular citizens.

Good to see you're in support of the Russian probe, since that's just our judiciary and police doing their jobs as well.

I'm not in favor of fairy tale partisan witch hunts, there isn't anything to investigate as far Russia goes and they haven't been independent but rather aligned to the previous president who hasn't honored the peaceful transfer of power. Doesn't matter how many times anybody ever associated with Trump spoke to a Russian, it's not a crime. Last time I checked tho spying on your political enemies and murder are most definitely a crime and gross abuse of power. The FBI lost its credibility when it allowed James Comey and Loretta Lynch to whitewash the Clinton investigation, you know they never actually go to look at that equipment themselves but rather some outside company. Hillary's interview wasn't even under oath, all her aides were given immunity deals not to testify or anything but to protect the Clinton's.

Obama/Clinton ideologues need to be completely purged from every position they can be removed from, they cannot be trusted.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 8:48 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

I'm not in favor of fairy tale partisan witch hunts, there isn't anything to investigate as far Russia goes and they haven't been independent but rather aligned to the previous president who hasn't honored the peaceful transfer of power. Doesn't matter how many times anybody ever associated with Trump spoke to a Russian, it's not a crime. Last time I checked tho spying on your political enemies and murder are most definitely a crime and gross abuse of power. The FBI lost its credibility when it allowed James Comey and Loretta Lynch to whitewash the Clinton investigation, you know they never actually go to look at that equipment themselves but rather some outside company. Hillary's interview wasn't even under oath, all her aides were given immunity deals not to testify or anything but to protect the Clinton's.

Obama/Clinton ideologues need to be completely purged from every position they can be removed from, they cannot be trusted.

Walks like fascism, talks like fascism, I wonder what it is?

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 4:09 pm

We say that a weapon, or a drug, or a hammer are all morally-neutral, impartial, apart from the hand that wields them, and so is authority. Authority is an abstract idea, that can't hurt you, or might be used to your advantage. The danger is when people become superstitious about any of these things.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 4:10 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
As white people tell it, they find a culture in the beginning stages of decadence, and it collapses, on subsequent visits, for moral reasons.

Kraichgauer wrote:
What moral reasons are those?

Cannibalism.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 4:32 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
friedmacguffins wrote:
As white people tell it, they find a culture in the beginning stages of decadence, and it collapses, on subsequent visits, for moral reasons.

Kraichgauer wrote:
What moral reasons are those?

Cannibalism.

Now, other than a few demented psychopaths, just who is committing cannibalism in our current civilization?

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2017, 10:32 am

The past few questions and answers, I think, have been a reductio ad absurdum, but cannibalism was literally reported by early explorers and has now slowly become a popular fad. How can generically-nice people be reduced to that.

What most people are complaining about, is a govt, which they would have wanted and deserved.

Last edited by friedmacguffins on 02 Jun 2017, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2017, 10:43 am

friedmacguffins wrote:
The past few questions and answers, I think, have been a reductio ad absurdum, but cannibalism was literally reported by early explorers and has now slowly become a popular fad. How can generically-nice people be reduced to that.

Only by starvation and/or insanity.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2017, 10:58 am

Many, little, moral compromises