2 Men in Indonesia Sentenced to Caning for Having Gay Sex

Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 7:20 pm

I wasn't posting that to debate, it was more just something to chew on. I really had no illusion that it would be answered or attended to in any direct manner.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 9:38 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I wasn't posting that to debate, it was more just something to chew on. I really had no illusion that it would be answered or attended to in any direct manner.

Okay, sorry. I didn't know it was meant to just be rhetorical.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 2:54 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Do we give the Ugandan Christians much of a break on their behavior in this regard for being African?

No.

(Adult content warning.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On3etueeGIg

The West has actually sent so many advocates, to so may different countries, that we are assumed to be promoting it, proactively.

When we think we are spreading freedoms, more-modest countries think we are spreading vices; there is no freedom from it. They want freedom from religion, but not freedom from sacrilege.

bumbleme
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 May 2017, 2:33 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
I am surprised, Indonesia is a relatively progressive country in comparison to the rest of the Islamic world.

Apparently not...

My limited understanding is that Aceh has been a "special case". As in, the rest of Indonesia has been much more progressive while Aceh province has been under Sharia law. But recently hard line Islam is having a big impact in other areas (e.g. what happened to Ahok recently: he was the governor of Jakarta and a Christian. Now he is in jail for 2 years for blasphemy against Islam)

bumbleme
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 May 2017, 2:39 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Indonesia seems like a terrible place to live...execution for so much as possession of drugs, severe beatings that could result in death for gay sex what else do they got going on there? But that said its another example of why separation of state and religion is a good thing, it prevents archaic laws and sentences like this being justified in the name of religious law.

Nah, it's OK to have drugs there... as long as you're the children of government officials or someone else high up.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 4:51 pm

Ever since Jokowi took power, Indonesia has gone to crap. First the Bali 9, this, and the big raid on the gay spa in Jakarta. I'm not sure who's worse, him or DuTurdTe.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 4:17 pm

If it offends, why must it be done so openly and notoriously. For instance, how is the govt going to know whether a bunch of guys are having sex, in a hottub, or if they got high, in private.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 4:30 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
If it offends, why must it be done so openly and notoriously. For instance, how is the govt going to know whether a bunch of guys are having sex, in a hottub, or if they got high, in private.

That's Indonesia, where it seems freedom of privacy isn't what it is here.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2017, 11:14 am

There is no way for people to know what you are doing, in private, assuming that you're discrete, about mature situations. They can't possibly be looking in everyone's hottub or stash box.

I think, moderate tea-installers are rare. These people who are supposed to be evenhanded and practical.

Most are either completely paranoid or wallowing in their own crapulence. In my experience, they attract negative attention and deserve it.

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jun 2017, 1:41 pm

Meanwhile, over in the Philippines next door, gays very much dominate the entertainment industry.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2017, 12:12 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
There is no way for people to know what you are doing, in private, assuming that you're discrete, about mature situations. They can't possibly be looking in everyone's hottub or stash box.

I think, moderate tea-installers are rare. These people who are supposed to be evenhanded and practical.

Most are either completely paranoid or wallowing in their own crapulence. In my experience, they attract negative attention and deserve it.

homosexuals deserve to be arrested and beaten/killed, because people decide to give them negative attention due to not being able to live and let live? Well that's a disgusting view to have...

That said they were having the sex in private, a couple other people became suspicious the couple was gay so they got a group together to sneak up on them when they were in a bedroom doing it in private...and burst in, catch them in the act and forcibly held them there till the authorities could come arrest them.

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jun 2017, 3:00 pm

It is rather amazing how quickly we went, in America, from legalizing sodomy, to gays in the military, to gay marriage.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2017, 3:08 pm

StinkyDog wrote:
It is rather amazing how quickly we went, in America, from legalizing sodomy, to gays in the military, to gay marriage.

And I am still proud how my state of Washington was the first to legalize gay marriage by popular vote. :D

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jun 2017, 7:05 pm

By the way, parts of the USA are still quite backward, too.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/06/north-c ... is-demons/

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2017, 7:44 pm

StinkyDog wrote:

Places like that show that not all culture in America is equal.

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jun 2017, 8:12 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
StinkyDog wrote:

Places like that show that not all culture in America is equal.

I'm sure that they all voted for Trump.