Trump's 1st Trip Abroad as President

Page 1 of 7 [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2017, 9:51 am

Slate: President Trump’s First Trip Abroad: How’s That Going to Go?

Quote:
Most presidents, and every president since Reagan, have visited either Mexico or Canada as their first trip out of the country. But Trump’s 11-day trip starts in Saudi Arabia. Maybe that’s because, despite the Islamaphobic rhetoric of his campaign for president and his attempted travel ban, Sunni Arab governments have been pretty happy with Trump so far, preferring his administration’s tough anti-Iran policies and general disregard for promoting human rights to the Obama administration.

I think he's going to seek asylum in a rich Arab country.

But seriously, what is the point of this trip?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2017, 10:06 am

I'm sure certain media will make implications about him being up to something nefarious by way of tip offs from anonymous sources.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2017, 10:39 am

We'll see. I can't imagine it going smoothly though.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2017, 11:22 am

I'm hoping for extensive coverage of him shaking some sheikh's hand the wrong way.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2017, 11:30 am

EzraS wrote:
I'm hoping for extensive coverage of him shaking some sheikh's hand the wrong way.

LOL. I'm pretty sure that Trump at least won't be bowing to any foreign monarchs the way Obama did. Americans rejected that practice in 1776.

There Are Four Lights!

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

18 May 2017, 12:20 pm

I'm sure all these foreign leaders will have good advice on how to handle the lying partisan media.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2017, 4:13 pm

Well...

He is going to hit the Vatican, Saudi Arabia, AND Israel, in one trip.

So I assume he is trying to...cause peace and harmony to break out between three of the world's biggest religions! Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.

Good luck with that!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2017, 5:00 pm

I just read how Trump has cancelled his visit to the 1st century fortress of Massada in Israel, because the Israelis won't let him land his helicopter in this ancient ruin. God forbid that he should take the cable car up to the fortress on top of the plateau like the common people he says he represents. Really classy guy, that Trump. :roll:

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2017, 10:47 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I just read how Trump has cancelled his visit to the 1st century fortress of Massada in Israel, because the Israelis won't let him land his helicopter in this ancient ruin. God forbid that he should take the cable car up to the fortress on top of the plateau like the common people he says he represents. Really classy guy, that Trump. :roll:

you don't think there's security considerations that have to be made?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2017, 11:15 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

It doesn't appear to have been a concern for other world leaders.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2017, 11:20 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Trump isn't other world leaders and you don't know what the intelligence on the ground is saying.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2017, 11:46 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Trump isn't other world leaders and you don't know what the intelligence on the ground is saying.

I think it's more a matter of the Israelis not wanting a helicopter stirring up a dust storm in an ancient national site that is still considered an archeological dig. Why would the Israelis want to put the life of the American President in danger?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 3:04 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I think it's more a matter of the Israelis not wanting a helicopter stirring up a dust storm in an ancient national site that is still considered an archeological dig. Why would the Israelis want to put the life of the American President in danger?

Huh?

That's the point. There may have been good reasons that both countries agreed that its more trouble than its worth to have the POTUS, and his entourage, and his secret service detail,all take the cable car up to a rugged wild site like that.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 4:42 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Huh?

That's the point. There may have been good reasons that both countries agreed that its more trouble than its worth to have the POTUS, and his entourage, and his secret service detail,all take the cable car up to a rugged wild site like that.

Perhaps. But it was my understanding that Trump cancelled the visit in a huff when he was told he couldn't fly in.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 5:45 am

androbot01 wrote:
Slate: President Trump’s First Trip Abroad: How’s That Going to Go?

Quote:
Most presidents, and every president since Reagan, have visited either Mexico or Canada as their first trip out of the country. But Trump’s 11-day trip starts in Saudi Arabia. Maybe that’s because, despite the Islamaphobic rhetoric of his campaign for president and his attempted travel ban, Sunni Arab governments have been pretty happy with Trump so far, preferring his administration’s tough anti-Iran policies and general disregard for promoting human rights to the Obama administration.

I think he's going to seek asylum in a rich Arab country.

But seriously, what is the point of this trip?
If he is going to do a good job in the region he needs good relations with foreign powers. What is the problem in trying to get that?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 6:21 am

Jacoby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

No kidding! although he's probably in more danger from Americans than Israelis given his daughter Ivanka is a Jewish convert