Tech Job for Someone Better At Theory?

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2017, 2:11 pm

I don't want to be a technical editor anymore because the lack of clearcut rules and client requirements is dissatisfying and anxiety-provoking.

I've always wanted to work in tech (any kind, not necessarily just IT-related), but I'm better at the theory than the practice (of programming, for example). I mean that I'm good at understanding why things work, the gist, than I am at remembering all the little details of how they work.

For example, I remember how pointers work but I easily forget the syntax for using them. I remember the principles of how synchros and servos work, but I'd forget how to use the specific ones at my job. I know what processes are needed to update a system, but I'd forget which buttons to press or commands to issue to start those processes.

Can you think of a tech-related job that is good for me? I have a B.S. in physics and studied some computer science at university. I was trained in aircraft maintenance in the military. I need to work mostly alone and prefer something I could do freelance.

Thanks.