Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

synthpop
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2017, 3:52 pm

i always hear about people leaving relationships because they felt as though the person was “too good” for them, or that the person that left felt as though they weren't "good enough," for their partner.

i've noticed that most people who claim to believe that they’re not good enough for someone and leave are just bored or want someone else, although there are cases of genuine feelings of self-hatred to the point of feeling deserving of isolation. even then, the fact that they won’t accept love from anyone should be handled with suspicion. because, what allowed them to enter the relationship to begin with? why would they choose to make someone suffer, assuming their partner actually did love them and not want them to leave, just to feel better about not ‘burdening’ anyone? wouldn't their partner begging them to stay, their partner telling them they love them more than anything and cherish them, make them feel like more of an annoyance and burden for leaving than it would for staying, since their partner is clearly stating that the fact that they wish to leave them would cause them to be hurt?

i understand, but i don't. i, myself, experience the urge to flee because i feel unworthy of love, i feel unloved constantly even when i'm being told how much someone loves me. i actually have left relationships before due to pervasive feelings of worthlessness. my own behavior doesn't make sense to me, nor does the behavior of others.
whenever i've felt the urge to leave someone because i didn't feel good enough, it was always because i thought the person would be happier with someone else. i wanted them to be happy. i felt like dead-weight in the relationship, only serving to bring my partner down. i felt like a burden. i still feel like a burden. regardless of whether or not i'm in a relationship, i feel like a burden--to everyone from my parents to the people i interact with online.

i'm in a serious relationship and i've had intrusive thoughts about leaving. i don't want to leave, yet i fear that i will want to leave. i fear myself and my future actions. what i have now is precious, and i don't want to lose it. i don't want to leave. but, even while wanting to stay, there's this lingering desire to free my partner of the burden of being with me.
i recognize that i'm loved, but i think, "they could love someone else even more." even when being explicitly told "you're not a burden," i feel like, perhaps, i truly am, and no one fully realizes it but they would if i were to leave.
every relationship i’ve been in i’ve experienced an urge to leave because i believe the person deserves better, i’m annoying, and i don’t want to be a burden on anyone. i’m having really bad intrusive thoughts i can’t stop that are always along the lines of, “he’d be better off with someone more intelligent,” “he would be able to relate more with someone more experienced,” “he would be better off with someone less childish,” etc. and i can’t make them go away, and i hate thinking these things, but i can’t stop, even when i see them as stupid, they’re almost entirely separate from my ‘actual’ conscience. they float around my head like flies.

has anyone here ever experienced an urge to leave a relationship due to feeling either unworthy of love or that you felt as though your partner could do much better than you? what inclines you to believe you're not good enough? how do you cope with constant feelings of inadequacy?

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2017, 5:20 pm

I've definitely felt that way. Several of the girls I've dated have been, from my perspective, out of my league. One of the main reasons I ended my last relationship specifically, was not feeling good enough for her and being really insecure about it. It caused me alot of stress, and pretty much sucked the life out of me. I don't ever want to be in a relationship again, where I feel like I have to prove myself worthy everyday.

fakkau89
Raven
Raven

21 May 2017, 6:20 am

synthpop wrote:
i always hear about people leaving relationships because they felt as though the person was “too good” for them, or that the person that left felt as though they weren't "good enough," for their partner. ...

...has anyone here ever experienced an urge to leave a relationship due to feeling either unworthy of love or that you felt as though your partner could do much better than you? what inclines you to believe you're not good enough? how do you cope with constant feelings of inadequacy?

Everybody deserves some form of love or appreciation. You must know this.

YOU. DESERVE. LOVE.

Don't deny yourself that. Everybody needs somebody imo.

If you feel like a bit of a downer, do something about it.

Go somewhere with that person, show them that they mean so much to you. Don't let them go.
Unless you do have higher reasons to leave them instead of just personal inadequacy.
You are generous to think of them first in that you want them to be happy regardless of whether they are with YOU or Not.

Go out with your signifigant other, or do something else nice for him/her. Set the stage to ask them
how they feel about you, you may get a surprise or you might at least get some revelations/guidance that may be helpful. Talk to them, and be willing to grow, leaving them now may close off your opportunity to grow and be a better person. WITH the person you may get the DRIVE to be better.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2017, 6:28 am

I've never had a relationship to leave, but I have pushed potential partners away due to insecurities.

I always think about what might go wrong. "If I tell him about this will he hate it? Will he think I'm stupid?" I never expect people to understand me, mostly because I've been misunderstood and rejected a lot in my life.

I guess it's not fair on the other person. I never even let some of them have a chance to tell me what they thought, I just assumed that I wasn't good enough.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2017, 8:52 pm

fakkau89 wrote:
synthpop wrote:
i always hear about people leaving relationships because they felt as though the person was “too good” for them, or that the person that left felt as though they weren't "good enough," for their partner. ...

...has anyone here ever experienced an urge to leave a relationship due to feeling either unworthy of love or that you felt as though your partner could do much better than you? what inclines you to believe you're not good enough? how do you cope with constant feelings of inadequacy?

Everybody deserves some form of love or appreciation. You must know this.

YOU. DESERVE. LOVE.

Don't deny yourself that. Everybody needs somebody imo.

If you feel like a bit of a downer, do something about it.

Go somewhere with that person, show them that they mean so much to you. Don't let them go.
Unless you do have higher reasons to leave them instead of just personal inadequacy.
You are generous to think of them first in that you want them to be happy regardless of whether they are with YOU or Not.

Go out with your signifigant other, or do something else nice for him/her. Set the stage to ask them
how they feel about you, you may get a surprise or you might at least get some revelations/guidance that may be helpful. Talk to them, and be willing to grow, leaving them now may close off your opportunity to grow and be a better person. WITH the person you may get the DRIVE to be better.

100% this. It just takes 1 good day to get things off the ground.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Copelandia
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 May 2017, 7:41 am

I feel not good enough but it seems by current 'partner' isn't interested in actually being with me.

Sadly I often feel not good enough for anyone, none of my relationships last very long.

Always seem to end up with guys who tell me they don't want a relationship.

How do I manage to find so many of them, when I see other people get into happy and stable relationships so easily?

I've just started to believe that I'm broken and there's something wrong with me.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 12:51 pm

Self doubt is nerve wracking, pointless, scary & inefficient. I think the only way past it is meditation & focus.

RandomFox
Toucan
Toucan

24 May 2017, 1:58 pm

I've never had explicit thoughts of being "not good enough" but I often analysed relationships on few scales of compatibility and could see massive differences between me and my boyfriends. It's not really the case of one or the other being not good enough, just a sad acknowledgement that the differences are too significant to make it work. I tried to carry on regardless, but the differences usually made relationships a struggle and definitely not a source of contentment and happiness.
"Not good enough" is a bit vague to me.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 2:13 pm

I think it still comes up no matter how intricate one's reasoning. Struggles can be positive with enough effort.