Page 1 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Almajo88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 May 2017, 5:24 pm

Okay, I apologise if there is a thread for this, but I couldn't find one on a quick search and it certainly falls under 'current events'! I do hope that there are enough politically-minded autistic people here to justify this thread.

Who are you planning to vote for? Theresa "strong and stable" May or Jeremy "for the many" Corbyn? Perhaps a third party? What do you think about media coverage of the election?

I'd like to remind people to register to vote, too. The deadline is the 22nd of May. The process takes around five minutes and all you need is your national insurance number, which is often printed on HMRC and DWP letters and perhaps medical letters too? Jump here if you're interested in deciding who runs the country: https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

The party manifestos are now available and it's time that we discussed what they mean. My bias will certainly come through here, but I'll go ahead: the Labour manifesto is fully costed and involves returning corporate taxes to higher rates (still lowest in G7), raising income tax for the highest earners, and introducing a 'Robin Hood' tax on financial transactions. Public services and natural monopolies such as rail and water would be nationalised, likely reducing costs (as is evidenced by much of Europe). Privatisation of the NHS would be reversed, funding would be increased for the NHS, schools, and other learning institutions, among other things.

The Tory manifesto involves band-aiding existing Tory policy. This is to be expected, given that they are incumbent, but it's still less substantial than the Labour manifesto IMO. These are the key policies: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39960311 to quote:

Quote:
Real terms increases in NHS spending reaching £8bn extra per year by 2022/23
Scrapping the triple-lock on the state pension after 2020, replacing it with a "double lock", rising with earnings or inflation
Means test winter fuel payments, taking away £300 from wealthier pensioners
Raising cost of care threshold from £23,000 to £100,000 - but include value of home in calculation of assets for home care as well as residential care
Scrap free school lunches for infants in England, but offer free breakfasts across the primary years
Pump an extra £4bn into schools by 2022
Net migration cut to below 100,000
Increase the amount levied on firms employing non-EU migrant workers

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2017, 5:28 pm

SNP

If I didn't have the choice and lived in England it would be Labour.

Remember the old adverts on TV:

Keep Britain Tidy - Kill a Tory.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 11:57 am

I'm voting labour too. I won't go into why, because there are a lot of know-it-alls here who will doubt me and what I know about labour.

Nice to see a UK thread for a change instead of all these Trump threads. :roll:

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2017, 9:23 am

Almajo88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jun 2017, 5:40 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I'm voting labour too. I won't go into why, because there are a lot of know-it-alls here who will doubt me and what I know about labour.

Nice to see a UK thread for a change instead of all these Trump threads. :roll:

To be honest, I have an incredible social phobia, one that has led me to avoid this thread that I created! In short, I expect the worst from people. I live in a marginal constituency and I want to help campaign, but my anxiety is so crippling that I can barely speak to people normally, let alone under such tense conditions.

Despite living in a marginal, Wirral West, I also live in one of the most left-wing counties, Merseyside. I went one town over, to West Kirby, and watched Corbyn's speech (my anxiety is triggered by social interaction, not crowds); he's an incredible orator, he has an unmatched passion and he genuinely believes in the policies.

I've been aware of Corbyn for a while. He wrote regular articles in The Morning Star until that incredible leadership contest. You know, the greatest thing that Miliband ever did was making Labour elections one person one vote. It was certainly accidental in terms of what happened as a result, but that doesn't make it any less amazing.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2017, 5:43 pm

Almajo88 wrote:

To be honest, I have an incredible social phobia, one that has led me to avoid this thread that I created! In short, I expect the worst from people. Despite living in a marginal, Wirral West, I also live in one of the most left-wing counties, Merseyside. I went one town over, to West Kirby, and watched Corbyn's speech (my anxiety is triggered by social interaction, not crowds); he's an incredible orator, he has an unmatched passion and he genuinely believes in the policies.

I've been aware of Corbyn for a while. You know, the greatest thing that Miliband ever did was making Labour elections one person one vote.

Excuse me for stepping in, but everyone is aware of Corbyn and the lack of leadership he brings about, not only in his untidy speeches but crippling manifesto on home owners and limited understanding of small businesses.
I watched the live debate tonight between the two, and I have to say that May, held the stronger card.

Why do elections always bring out the worst in people? Some people have a comotose reaction to the polls by going in with their eyes half closed. On the issues of Brexit, I would urge voters to steer clear of the left for now, until the matter can be unanimously resolved.

Does that mean swallowing our pride or allowing ourselves to indulge in the self pity that surrounds us?
What is essential, is she stays on even terms with the E.U collaborators and tries her hand at tackling poverty and injustice issues, that no one has spared her any time for, when she took up the stand.

I'm all for a new political leader being given a fair hearing, she is one of the strongest people I've seen and she'll put a lot of wealthy shallow men in their place.

Last edited by Empathy on 02 Jun 2017, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2017, 5:46 pm

Empathy wrote:
Almajo88 wrote:

To be honest, I have an incredible social phobia, one that has led me to avoid this thread that I created! In short, I expect the worst from people. Despite living in a marginal, Wirral West, I also live in one of the most left-wing counties, Merseyside. I went one town over, to West Kirby, and watched Corbyn's speech (my anxiety is triggered by social interaction, not crowds); he's an incredible orator, he has an unmatched passion and he genuinely believes in the policies.

I've been aware of Corbyn for a while. You know, the greatest thing that Miliband ever did was making Labour elections one person one vote.

Excuse me for stepping in, but everyone is aware of Corbyn and the lack of leadership he brings about, not only in his untidy speeches but crippling manifesto on home owners and limited understanding of small businesses.
I watched the live debate tonight between the two, and I have to say that May, held the stronger card.

Why do elections always bring out the worst in people? Some people have a comotose reaction to the polls by going in with their eyes half closed. On the issues of Brexit, I would urge voters to steer clear of the left for now, until the matter can be unanimously resolved.

Does that mean swallowing our pride or allowing ourselves to indulge in the self pity that surrounds us?
What is essential, is she stays on even terms with the E.U collaborators and tries her hand at tackling poverty and injustice issues, that no one has spared her any time for, when she took up the stand.
I'm all for a new political leader being given a fair hearing, she is one of the strongest people I've seen and she'll put a lot of wealthy shallow men in their place.

haha you nutter.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2017, 5:48 pm

QuillAlba wrote:

haha you nutter.

Look who's talking.

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2017, 6:01 pm

Empathy wrote:
QuillAlba wrote:

haha you nutter.

Look who's talking.

Ted Danson rocks that part.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Jun 2017, 11:19 am

QuillAlba wrote:
Empathy wrote:
Almajo88 wrote:

haha you nutter.

Please be more civil QA, that constitutes a personal attack. You can attack policies, opinions etc but not members.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

F10ona1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jun 2017, 7:36 am

The whole thing is stressing me out massively!
I've just found out my sister is voting Tory and believes in Teresa May 100% (her words).

I take this very personally.

It's the "I'm alright Jack" mentality of Tories. Not caring for others in society. Selling off the NHS for favours, or giving the Policing of our country to private security firm (of which Teresa May's husband is one).

It's sickening. For so many reasons. Vilifying the poor and diving the country by manipulating the news media.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2017, 7:51 am

I'm not politically-minded but i'm voting the Green Party

disagree with every other party's ambitions: don't be mean, vote Green!

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Jun 2017, 8:12 am

Sounds like a good choice...

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2017, 1:47 pm

envirozentinel wrote:

Please be more civil QA, that constitutes a personal attack. You can attack policies, opinions etc but not members.

Looks like she forgot to filter those settings before she made an attack on the British people.
At the minute, Scottish interests are in the eye of the beholder who wears the iron lady's kilt.

As far as voting is concerned, I don't see the point this time around anyway, odds are, there'll be a hung parliament.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2017, 6:39 am

My vote counts for nothing as I come under Wokingham district and so the sleaziest of all sleazy Tories, John Redwood, will stroll to victory.

I have traditionally voted Lib as that is the only challenger to Tories here so if you want to help Labour you vote Lib, yet in 2015 Labour overtook them. Still not made my mind up over whether to go Lib or Lab.

This does feel like it went from the dullest ever election to one which is now very interesting. I wonder how much May is regretting her decision :lol:

I genuinely can't remember any election campaign as negative as the current Tory one. It is relentlessly negative and bases pretty much on an all new Project Fear. The fact she chose to base much of her campaign on personalities is more than a little baffling considering who she is.

Still expect a Tory win but a coalition of the others would be great!

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2017, 6:46 am

F10ona1 wrote:
It's the "I'm alright Jack" mentality of Tories. Not caring for others in society. Selling off the NHS for favours, or giving the Policing of our country to private security firm (of which Teresa May's husband is one)

That forms part of the basis of conservatism in the UK. Giving no sh*ts at all about stuff if it doesn't affect you and sneering at those lower down the food chain than you.

Not a massive JC fan but would love to see May toppled, especially after she lied about why she called the election, wasted millions of our money on it, threw away 2 months EU negotiation time on it all for her vanity project as she was thick enough to believe the polls.

Fully expect the written media, under the control of the Tories, to have outrageous front pages over the next 2 days to try and discredit Corbyn.