Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2017, 5:51 pm

Does anyone experience sudden language loss?

How long does it stay away?

How do you explain it to yourself?

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2017, 1:06 am

What do you mean? Going non-verbal temporarily? That happens when I am stressed or experiencing emotion, and my speech comes back once I'm no longer experiencing emotion.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2017, 1:54 am

I go nonverbal when I am overloaded. My mind sort of breaks. Requires reboot. Verbal speech ordinarily creates a sort of "blur" effect for me, so when my mind is already overwhelmed with things, especially if they are of an emotional nature because I may not be able to understand or process due autistic alexithymia, adding speech on top of that is too much when I am trying to clear my mind and make things work again.
It stays away as long as it does for my mind to recover. There is no specified time. I don't explain it to myself - I most often go nonverbal in shutdown, and in that situation, the philosophy of self communication and navel gazing contemplation is pretty low on my triage.

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2017, 5:45 am

C2V wrote:
I go nonverbal when I am overloaded. My mind sort of breaks. Requires reboot. Verbal speech ordinarily creates a sort of "blur" effect for me, so when my mind is already overwhelmed with things, especially if they are of an emotional nature because I may not be able to understand or process due autistic alexithymia, adding speech on top of that is too much when I am trying to clear my mind and make things work again.
It stays away as long as it does for my mind to recover. There is no specified time. I don't explain it to myself - I most often go nonverbal in shutdown, and in that situation, the philosophy of self communication and navel gazing contemplation is pretty low on my triage.

Talking is not something I enjoy, nor does it come easily to me. I figure that, when overwhelmed, I don't have the concentration/mental capacity required to verbal communication.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2017, 8:39 am

When you experience language loss, does it effect all modalities the same?

For instance, perhaps you cannot talk, but you can write or type, etc. Or, do you lose access to words altogether?

I'm trying to understand what happens to me. I had assumed my language loss was autistic/stress related until I had a stroke and was diagnosed with Aphasia. And then, I was diagnosed as having TIAs, so I'm trying to discern what is an autistic stress response and what is a physical emergency.

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2017, 1:32 pm

When I lose speech, it's either during and after a meltdown, or when I'm trying to talk about something that's really emotionally difficult. I can still write, because I know exactly what I want to say in my head, but I can't make my mouth and tongue cooperate, and they refuse to create recognisable words. That's why during meltdowns, I can't communicate what's wrong or what I need, and just end up moaning, whimpering or yelling, no words, just raw sound.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!