Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2017, 11:39 pm

Whenever I start getting to know different people I get these thoughts of the people who aren't so nice to me turning them against me. It even happens when the people I would talk to don't even know them. I sometimes even have these thoughts with friends that I've had for a while because I think about people creating a distance from me and them. I've had these kinds of thoughts for several years. I think it's because these sort of things have happened several times before. It sometimes causes me not to tell people anything about myself or even talk at all. I guess it's good to be that way sometimes though because there are a lot of power hungry and manipulative people out there that can use that can use what I tell them against me. I feel kind of weird worrying about these sort of things, but it's happened so much before I feel like it's normal for people to do that.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2017, 11:51 pm

From the things you've posted, I would say that you do seem to worry about those kinds of things more than most people do. It's good to be cautious, but as you say, it can shade into an OCD kind of condition and become truly counter productive. I'd say you probably tend to go a little too far in that direction.

Do you have other OCD traits?

There Are Four Lights!

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 6:22 pm

I analyze and think a lot about what I tell people and the different mistakes I make. I try usually try to be very thorough when I do different task. I also think a lot about hypothetical situations where something bad might happen and what I would do. I feel like sometimes I do this to prepare myself for the worst.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 11:10 pm

slw1990 wrote:
I analyze and think a lot about what I tell people and the different mistakes I make. I try usually try to be very thorough when I do different task. I also think a lot about hypothetical situations where something bad might happen and what I would do. I feel like sometimes I do this to prepare myself for the worst.

There can be a :wink: fine line between preparing for something and obsessing about it, just make sure you're not crossing the line into the later.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 2:27 am

Aristophanes wrote:
slw1990 wrote:

There can be a :wink: fine line between preparing for something and obsessing about it, just make sure you're not crossing the line into the later.

I try not to, but I don't always know how to respond in certain situations. If I have a problem I try to solve it the best I can.