Potential Problem with Self-Driving Cars

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 7:08 am

So let's say that you're a passenger in one of these things and you are proceeding towards your destination down a quiet road somewhere, when suddenly, somebody steps out in front of the vehicle and they just stay there, standing in the middle of the road, causing the vehicle to grind to a halt. Then the next thing to happen is a second person steps out and stands right behind the vehicle - you are trapped!

The car won't go anywhere and you are stuck. Now, these people standing in the road maybe just amusing themselves, playing a silly prank, or they could be about to commit a crime, maybe robbing you, or maybe something much worse!

I've been mulling this over for a couple of months and I can see this kind of scenario playing out regularly in the near future, when these vehicles become ubiquitous.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 8:24 am

I would refuse to use them... The only way I would consider it is in the form of a Tesla or Mercedes, because you can override the system and take over. Then I could drive around and if not, then I will need need to be defensive.

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 10:58 am

Yeah, overridability would make all the difference to my point. Unless the vehicle still refused to run somebody or something over even when you take the wheel. Hmm.

I decided to check that "overridability" was a proper word before I pressed submit.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 11:42 am

It was only a few months ago that it was discovered accidentally that driverless motor vehicles had no side-panel sensors. So, such vehicles would be vulnerable to vehicles in neighboring lanes which could suddenly side-swipe the driverless vehicles.

And, we are supposed to believe that such vehicles are safe? :lol:

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 12:23 pm

I'm sure you can force the autonomous automobile to run someone over; on taxis or ride shares that maybe different... But looking at the S-Class and Volvo. The camera is in the front; by the rear view mirror, with part the system in the grill. I never noticed camera in the rear, so you could probably back into them if needed... If not a fast J-Turn and hit them with the side of the car will work.

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 3:36 pm

Will self-driving cars have horns?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 3:47 pm

i guess it can always just..proceed very, very slowly, pushing the bastard in front away without hurting him?
but he could fall and get sucked under.

AspieUtah wrote:
It was only a few months ago that it was discovered accidentally that driverless motor vehicles had no side-panel sensors. So, such vehicles would be vulnerable to vehicles in neighboring lanes which could suddenly side-swipe the driverless vehicles.

And, we are supposed to believe that such vehicles are safe? :lol:

that seems like a pretty big thing to overlook. :skull:

in case of an accident with no "safe" choice, i'd guess a self driving vehicle would make a decision that minimizes loss of life.

manual operation ought to be a feature in all self driving vehicles i the event you take it out on some roads that it doesn't "know".

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 7:00 pm

I think I'll stick with my old Ford Ka for as long as possible.

At least I'm in total command of IT ( most of the time ).

And if I want to run a bad dude over, I bloody well will do!

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 7:07 pm

NewTime wrote:
Will self-driving cars have horns?

By law, yes because it's a car... Will someone get out of the way? No, even if they are not going to harm your. Some people are simply rude.

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 8:39 am

The electrically powered versions of these things will be accompanied by a sound effect in the UK.

Eventually.

Just to hopefully avoid people accidentally stepping out into the road in front of a quiet vehicle.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 10:06 am

MirrorWars wrote:
The electrically powered versions of these things will be accompanied by a sound effect in the UK.

Eventually.

Just to hopefully avoid people accidentally stepping out into the road in front of a quiet vehicle.

They did that to the Prius here years ago. So when they are creeping around in a parking lot, the put out a low pitch hum. I think all Hybrids and electrics do it now.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 11:14 am

I think driverless cars would be the greatest thing ever. No longer would I have to rely on other people to drive me anywhere that's too far to walk or will take to much time to walk to, and no longer will I have to worry about their driving skills or lack of them. They can't be anywhere near as dangerous as regular cars, especially ones that are driven by idiots who can't even read the instructions on a stop sign, are DUI, or distracted while driving. My fear is that that driverless cars won't become ever available because of... certain people... whose vehicles really run on hormones and not gasoline, and they feel completely worthless and powerless unless they are controlling something. Or someone.

So yeah, I'm not really worried about the problems driverless cars might have. "They" don't want people who can't drive for whatever reasons to be happy and independent and have a life anyway, because we are born losers. :(

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 11:15 am

i don't want traffic to be clogged up even more by people who can't drive themselves.

can you imagine a vehicle on the road for literally everyone with access to one, regardless of driving ability? and with the bloatedness of modern car design? please tell me i'm overreacting.

MirrorWars wrote:

Eventually.

i think even the quietest teslas make some noise due to the tires, though?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 11:44 am

There's Uber and Lyft, that works well for people who cant drive. Bus, train and regular taxis. These are all things available in my city (Orlando), that is known to have one of the worse public or low cost transportation options. These would still be cheaper and safer then a true autonomous car. Most of the autonomous cars don't react well to the unpredictable (say a kid runs out between cars), unlike humans who can possibly avoid or at the minimum choose to hit something less lethal. Cheaper as in, each person who can't drive wouldn't have to go out and spend $80,000 on a car they can't operate in an emergency.

EDIT: From an economics standpoint... It's better to employ someone who may not be employable in other industries. Someone driving a car and making money is a good thing. They pay taxes and they buy things, again creating more jobs.

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 7:30 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
i don't want traffic to be clogged up even more by people who can't drive themselves.

can you imagine a vehicle on the road for literally everyone with access to one, regardless of driving ability? and with the bloatedness of modern car design? please tell me i'm overreacting.

MirrorWars wrote:

Eventually.

i think even the quietest teslas make some noise due to the tires, though?

Yeah, the tyres do make a decent amount of noise, but that won't be good enough for the British government, they won't be satisfied until electric cars are driving past people's houses in the middle of the night and waking them up with their high-pitched, Jetsons-sounding vehicles.

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 7:39 pm

SH90 wrote:
There's Uber and Lyft, that works well for people who cant drive. Bus, train and regular taxis. These are all things available in my city (Orlando), that is known to have one of the worse public or low cost transportation options. These would still be cheaper and safer then a true autonomous car. Most of the autonomous cars don't react well to the unpredictable (say a kid runs out between cars), unlike humans who can possibly avoid or at the minimum choose to hit something less lethal. Cheaper as in, each person who can't drive wouldn't have to go out and spend $80,000 on a car they can't operate in an emergency.

EDIT: From an economics standpoint... It's better to employ someone who may not be employable in other industries. Someone driving a car and making money is a good thing. They pay taxes and they buy things, again creating more jobs.

It will cost everyone a fortune if they ban traditional vehicles altogether at some point.

We will either have to purchase a new autonomous vehicle or hire them like we do a traditional taxi.

Where as I can buy a decent, reliable vehicle for £500 today. I'll probably be priced off the road in the future.