Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2017, 10:13 pm

My 11 yr old is entering highschool and her psychologist could not give an IQ score based on her wide/varied performance so she just has a written report

I think a score of 50 is adjusted and may just be an estimate but I would get a second opinion as the administrator for the WISCV is supposed to be objective

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2017, 4:35 pm

victorytea wrote:
My son who is 11 yo has his IQ tested recently and the score came back 50! We consider Caleb very smart, he reads and writes well, his vocabulary is exceptional.He is very poor in math but OK in other subjects. We feel he has insight way above other children his age.50-how could this be. We're thinking the testing does not consider his focus problems among other other autistic symptoms. Have any of you,being parents, had similar results from testing?
Paul

What were his other IQ scores like verbal and performance?

I used to score in the mildly ret*d range and then in the bordering intellectual functioning range and my verbal IQ was always low but my performance IQ was average. I mostly scored higher in visual. What my mom did was she had a doctor test me in other areas when I was ten to show my school I was smart and not slow. People aren't going to take you seriously as a parent unless you have proof so if a doctor can say about your child in their evaluation report that their overall IQ score is not accurate and they are average to above average based on their other scores, that would be proof right there you are not talking out of your ass just because you are the mom.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 4:11 am

sunshinescj wrote:
I may be similar to my situation. I have a Verbal IQ of 142 but my Performance IQ is so low that the psychologist said it be pointless to give me a combined IQ because it would not accurately reflect my intelligence. Like others have said, I would check the subset scores.

The psychologist who tested my son said the same of his IQ test. His abilities were just too scattered to give a meaningful score.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 5:41 am

I agree with those that say the sub scores are undoubtedly more important than the overall IQ. I am not sure overall IQ is particularly accurate/ valid if a child/adult has a rather spiky profile. I've only ever been officially tested once but never got the results, and the school no longer has a record over 45 years later . On online tests though I score in the upper extreme verbally and well below average nonverbally .

byathread
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Jul 2017, 9:21 pm

victorytea wrote:
My son who is 11 yo has his IQ tested recently and the score came back 50! We consider Caleb very smart, he reads and writes well, his vocabulary is exceptional.He is very poor in math but OK in other subjects. We feel he has insight way above other children his age.50-how could this be. We're thinking the testing does not consider his focus problems among other other autistic symptoms. Have any of you,being parents, had similar results from testing?
Paul

I was in the gifted program which required an IQ> 130. Most of us had entered the program in elementary school. Anyway, our senior year of high school we realized that ALL of our records were in a file cabinet in the back of the room. And we were frequently left alone which as you can imagine led to us going throw all the files. Lot's of stories on this but one of the smartest guys in the room almost didn't make the cut because when he took the test in first grade halfway through the test he started answering "C" to every question and then not long after that he just quite answering questions and drew pictures of what the question related to. I can't remember if it was because he had answered every question correctly the first half of the test or that coupled with the few he got right by answering "c" was enough to get him or maybe the pictures he drew?? The point was that he didn't care to finish the test.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2017, 10:15 pm

byathread wrote:
Lot's of stories on this but one of the smartest guys in the room almost didn't make the cut because when he took the test in first grade halfway through the test he started answering "C" to every question and then not long after that he just quite answering questions and drew pictures of what the question related to. I can't remember if it was because he had answered every question correctly the first half of the test or that coupled with the few he got right by answering "c" was enough to get him or maybe the pictures he drew?? The point was that he didn't care to finish the test.

This sounds familiar. My daughter used to find tests easy in primary school but now she's older the teacher's cant get her to complete a task without her playing up or drawing silly pictures on the test papers. For her IQ test she simply rushes through and scores very high in some components and completely fails others. I can't get an objective score .

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 2:20 am

IQ tests mean next to nothing... someone in the jungle, or on the street, or in the desert, surviving, is very smart, but their test would come back saying "You must be something barely alive. Your IQ is 20."

Also, was he upset when he took the test?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 2:16 pm

There's something wrong.

OP: If you know the name of the test that was administered, please send it to us. We can research it.

If an 11-year-old kid really has an IQ of 50, like the others stated, he would be well behind in his "life skills" (like toilet-training or self-dressing, for example), and he would be barely able to, say, add 1 plus 1 in his head.

Was your kid referred to anything? If his IQ was really 50, they would have had a serious heart-to-heart talk with you.

I'm wondering if the "50" is a "raw score," rather than an actual IQ score.

Something isn't right.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 4:54 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If an 11-year-old kid really has an IQ of 50, like the others stated, he would be well behind in his "life skills" (like toilet-training or self-dressing, for example), and he would be barely able to, say, add 1 plus 1 in his head..

I visited a special school for kids with IQ 50-70 (defined as mild intellectual impairment) and all of them are capable of life skills and communication. The girl showing us parents around for the school visit was infact articulate enough for me to be convinced she was entirely normal.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 6:08 pm

Perhaps I should say that I "stand corrected."

I was wondering which test was administered. Was it the Weschler's?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 8:58 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Perhaps I should say that I "stand corrected."

I was wondering which test was administered. Was it the Weschler's?

Probably the WISCV

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 9:46 pm

There was a man in France who has been referred to as having "no brain" due to untreated hydrocephalus.

Here is his brain scan:

The black areas are voids filled with fluid. Anyway, he was married with children and worked as a civil servant. His IQ was 75.

I suspect what is actually going on is that his ventricles are severely enlarged and the brain tissue surrounding them has been pressed into a thin layer rather than being gone. Everything is there, just in a different shape than typically encountered.

Anyway, my point was that he managed to live a perfectly normal life and apparently did not appear outwardly mentally ret*d despite his IQ. I imagine he probably also has significant scatter and scores in the average range on some sub sections and mentally ret*d range on other sub sections which are not necessarily pertinent to everyday life.