Hypothesis: Obsessive thoughts and spiritual connections.

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 7:49 pm

TornadoEvil wrote:
rdos wrote:
TornadoEvil wrote:
You have to consider confirmation bias and the null hypothesis (what are the chances of this result if my hypothesis were false?).

Based on my own experiences, and online sharing with the girl, I'd say p < .00001 that this could be a coincidence. We simply had no way to know the things we first exchanged spiritually and then shared online.

Your sample size is a bit small. If any data exists at all.

^^^ @rdos: as Yoda would say, "told you, I did..."

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 8:36 pm

I don't lean any particular way on how spiritual a natural ability might be, I just think this is really cool & I'm glad to see people acknowledging it.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 12:44 am

Rdos I'm just re reading this. Do you mean this as some sort of esp? That's not what I'm describing. A mutual feeling is what I mean, not the same thing happening over a vast distance.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 2:15 am

To me it would be a shame to rule that out.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 2:46 am

hurtloam wrote:
Rdos I'm just re reading this. Do you mean this as some sort of esp? That's not what I'm describing. A mutual feeling is what I mean, not the same thing happening over a vast distance.

Distance is a factor. There is a limit for how long distances it works over (order of perhaps 200 - 300 km), and it also appears that the closer you are the better and more detailed it becomes. Which we should expect if it has a real, physical, background, which it should have. Thus, it is no more an esp than that electromagnetic photons can carry radio signals, which we all know works.

Some people only might have noticed it when they are closer to each other's, assumed they read the emotions some other way and discarded impulses that it actually works without real, physical contact.

So, the next time you experience this, just look down and/or close your eyes, and see if it still works. If it does, it cannot be based on vision.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 2:54 am

AngelRho wrote:
TornadoEvil wrote:
rdos wrote:
TornadoEvil wrote:
You have to consider confirmation bias and the null hypothesis (what are the chances of this result if my hypothesis were false?).

Based on my own experiences, and online sharing with the girl, I'd say p < .00001 that this could be a coincidence. We simply had no way to know the things we first exchanged spiritually and then shared online.

Of course. I'm not going to try to publish this anytime soon, but people should research this for themselves, setting things up in a more scientific way than most of new age stuff is done, and then there will be a larger sample size. Most importantly, you should not get carried away and step far into fantasy-land like most of new age people has done as that will not help in any way.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 3:00 am

TornadoEvil wrote:
rdos wrote:
TornadoEvil wrote:

Depends on how you define "sample size". I can define sample size by the number of occurrences, and then the sample size is sufficient (larger than most ASD studies). Then, of course, I can extrapolate that if it works for us, then it likely works for others too, because we are not totally unique critters. :-)

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 7:02 am

rdos wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
TornadoEvil wrote:
rdos wrote:
TornadoEvil wrote:

Of course. I'm not going to try to publish this anytime soon, but people should research this for themselves, setting things up in a more scientific way than most of new age stuff is done, and then there will be a larger sample size. Most importantly, you should not get carried away and step far into fantasy-land like most of new age people has done as that will not help in any way.

I'm not into New Age, but I do accept that reality is more than purely physical. I also accept personal experience as valid and that peer review sometimes falls victim to the whims of mutual admiration societies. In the case of the latter it just shows nobody is perfect, and in the former that experience is always personal. I mean, with peer review you risk appeal to majority and appeal to authority, whereas with personal experience nobody is going to believe you anyway.

So if science is capable of being silly, I'll take it with a grain if salt the same way I do everything else and draw my own conclusions. Not that science is BAD or all wrong. It's just even a certain European nationalist movement which shall remain nameless was "scientific." "Science" doesn't mean shut your brain off or let others do your thinking for you.

Both science and New Age are capable of going into fantasy-land.

I have experienced things that can BEST be described as angelic or divine intervention. I have the ability to do certain things that make even other Christians call me crazy. Just because something isn't repeatable or physically tangible enough to be put under a microscope doesn't mean it didn't happen, nor does the possibility of another explanation mean yours is incorrect. The thing about science vs God that really settled it for me in my thinking is that just because you CAN observe, measure, repeat something it doesn't mean anyone will believe you or draw your same conclusions...or even that mutual admiration societies/"preponderance of evidence" aren't subject to similar or opposite biases and wrong conclusions. If I brought God Almighty down and showed the world, and scientists did what they do, have I any guarantees that they or anyone else would be compelled to agree that's really God?

I already know the answer to that. So to summarize all of the above: You can't put faith in science.

[pause to see if anyone gets the joke]

I don't buy into New Age, and it has nothing to do with any scientific basis for/against it. I see New Age and similar movements and religions as seeking to bend divine will to human will. If that is possible, why bother believing in God at all? Plus, New Age has evolved into something barely recognizable from what it originally was. Prosperity gospel made its way back into New Age after Christianity stole it and has made New Age quite a lucrative business. Law of Attraction, for instance, and The Secret--all of it reeks of "positive confession." Literally wishful thinking. Here's a hint: it doesn't work for Christians, and it won't work for anyone else. The only people making money are those selling the books and the motivational speakers--same as always.

Do I think there's a spiritual connection among all human beings? Sure. Collective consciousness? MAYBE. If quantum mechanics (and how many interpretations of it?) holds up, there's at least the possibility of observable, explainable telepathy. I don't KNOW that there IS. I simply choose not to be so narrow minded to automatically throw it out.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 2:59 am

I came into this from the opposite direction. I have family members that believe in ghosts and the supernatural, but that never appealed to me, and I always told them to find alternative explanations.

Instead, my first experience (at least that I know of) was with my then premature child. We connected very quickly, and I knew much better than the professional nurses what he actually liked and disliked. For instance, he really disliked tube feeding, and I was the first one to feed him with a bottle, which amazed them. However, he didn't allow them to do it, so while I was still bottle feeding him they had to use the tube. When social workers decided they would place him into foster care, I "asked" him if we should get away, and he agreed. So, I had him for close to 24 hours out of the hospital. The first thing he did was to pull the tube. Eventually, the police found us, and put him back to the hospital. They had to go back to tube feeding again, since he wouldn't allow anything else even if I never needed to resort to that (I even couldn't). Another interesting circumstance is that we "talked" about refusing to eat when the foster family tried to feed him, and from the weight curves, I actually know that he did too. Eventually, since that didn't work out as expected, we decided to quit that.

I also have a few memories of getting into contact with people that just died. One particular case was wife's grandmother. She contacted me just after she had died. When wife told me she had died several hours later, I already knew about it, and the time was right too. I know she liked me a lot, so that's probably why she wanted to tell me that she had passed on.

As a teenager, I was fascinated by my mother being able to predict water with a pendulum, so I tried it myself. She always told me that her hand did the movements all by itself, but when I experimented with it, I came to the conclusion that you actually let your "subconscious" control your hand based on knowledge that you don't have direct access to. That's also why basically anything can be used as a "detector". I also made maps with water currents, and then reproduced them months later. My guess is that this ability is related to some physical property of flowing water, and it is not an esp.

In relation to this girl, I initially didn't accept what my subconscious tried to tell me. She actually had to convince me that it worked by giving very real notifications online as things happened, much in the same way as with the grandmother. As the number of occurrences that matched my experiences increased, none which she could have known about without the spiritual connection, I finally decided it had to be real based on the very unlikely circumstance that somebody could guess-work all of that. It really came down to brute-force statistics.

So, viewing these kinds of things like mystical, divine, powers never appealed to me. I'm still very much an atheist, and I find all kinds of organised religion repulsive, including Christianity, Islam, New Age and the modern Big Bang religion. When I find something that science cannot explain, I don't search for answers in the divine domain but ponder about ways it can be explained with scientific methods.

Also, much of modern physics, including quantum mechanics, big bang, a large number of unknown dimensions and string theory, has basically no scientific value and is totally unprovable, and thus is religion and not science. Spiritual connections are not religious or divine, they are things that can be researched with scientific methods. If the will to do so exists.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 4:31 pm

rdos wrote:
Because courtship is innate and species-typical, which means that if NDs have a different courtship (and different relationship preferences), then they must be a different species (or have inherited courtship from another species). And courtship always has evolutionary reasons.

you said here that autistic people are a different species, or express more neanderthal-specific genetic traits than NTs with the same genetic histories. i know this is a working hypothesis. it's just hard to know what you mean when you keep hiding and changing the language.

sorry if i seem abrasive. i'm more intrigued than anything.

it seems to me like in most ND vs. NT narratives people are on two sides of the same window, but looking into the other side it's difficult to understand beyond the surface of "other". i often fear we are too confounded by our differences to appreciate our similarities, to the disadvantage of everyone.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 5:47 pm

Ah no I don't think I've actually experienced this then. I feel like the way that people feel really affects me. I can pick up on their vibes, but I can't always accurately translate those vibes into real meaning. I actually find the way they affect me to be very overwhelming and I feel like I'm drowning, but in a shared way. Like we're both in this pool of radiance together.

In my situation I think it could be the way that emotionally unbalanced people connect rather than it being a spiritual connection. I experience less of a communication and more of an overwhelming energy mixture.

futuresoldier1944
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 May 2017, 9:47 pm

rdos wrote:
seaweed wrote:
in terms of speciation we are just as human as NTs.
a divergent neural breed, would be a better description of what you are trying to mean.
i'm not convinced we are even as divergent as that, although it certainly feels like it a lot of the time.

It's my working hypothesis that neurodiversity is the legacy of Neanderthal interbreeding, and because Neanderhal was a different species, that implies that neurodiverse traits actually are from a different species. The evolutionary framework to understand the peculiarities of neurodiverse traits, including courtship, then would be ice-age Eurasia and sparse populations, not larger tribes with overlapping territories in Africa.

This is an incredibly fascinating theory! And it's all the more fascinating to me because I am interested in history and archaeology.

seaweed wrote:
saying most NTs can't connect with each other and other animals, spiritually or however, is not cool imo. haven't you heard some thick headed NTs call autistic people inhuman/robots/unempathetic/unfeeling/etc before? are you no better than these as*holes?

rdos wrote:
It's kind of interesting that it is possible to view NDs as more spiritual and empathic than NTs, especially given that the diagnostic labels claim the reverse. Still, the facts are that NDs are more often into spiritual things, and more often dislike organised religion. And my hypothesis is that it is not only that they are more interested, but actually have more advanced abilities in that area and that this is connected with courtship and obsessive thoughts. That doesn't mean NTs are bad or stupid. They are just different, with other strengths.

Well I have often viewed myself as being more spiritual and empathic than other people. This is the case even though I unfortunately often think bad thoughts about other people, whether intentionally or unintentionally. I'm not making an excuse, but my bad thoughts may be a result of my frustration at other people not acting or being like me.

futuresoldier1944
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 May 2017, 9:52 pm

rdos wrote:
So what is really the evolutionary reason for neurodiverse people obsessing about their loved one?

One possible reason might be to form strong attachments, but then surely, regular sex must be far more effective in achieving that.

A better reason might be to form a spiritual connection, which then can be used to exchange things at a distance without having to meet up. Surely, being able to communicate at a distance is far more effective than always having to meet in person. It's similar to today's Internet, which also is far more effective than people meeting for real.

Now, some people might claim that you cannot communicate like that, but since I've experienced this myself, I actually know that it works.

Well I sometimes obsess about other people whom I really like. And it's usually other guys whom I just want to be platonic friends with. I do it in order to form strong attachments, whether the feeling is mutual or not, and it unfortunately usually isn't. But I also do it in order to form a spiritual connection, even if I'm not sure if the feeling is mutual, as I am a very spiritual person. However, I don't think that we can really differentiate between strong attachments and spiritual connections. I think that strong attachments are indeed spiritual connections and vice versa. And I think that they may or may not be from God or a higher power.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 3:18 am

rdos wrote:
I also have a few memories of getting into contact with people that just died. One particular case was wife's grandmother. She contacted me just after she had died. When wife told me she had died several hours later, I already knew about it, and the time was right too. I know she liked me a lot, so that's probably why she wanted to tell me that she had passed on.

I hear this story a lot from people who are Catholics. It never fails to impress me.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 2:40 pm

seaweed wrote:
rdos wrote:
Because courtship is innate and species-typical, which means that if NDs have a different courtship (and different relationship preferences), then they must be a different species (or have inherited courtship from another species). And courtship always has evolutionary reasons.

you said here that autistic people are a different species, or express more neanderthal-specific genetic traits than NTs with the same genetic histories. i know this is a working hypothesis. it's just hard to know what you mean when you keep hiding and changing the language.

sorry if i seem abrasive. i'm more intrigued than anything.

it seems to me like in most ND vs. NT narratives people are on two sides of the same window, but looking into the other side it's difficult to understand beyond the surface of "other". i often fear we are too confounded by our differences to appreciate our similarities, to the disadvantage of everyone.

I wish I could be more open about it. It's not only that many people find the Neanderthal hypothesis offensive, I cannot even present the complete courtship without getting even more aggressive comments, so I'll have to stick to being unclear. I think that is just how it has to be. At least for now.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 2:45 pm

hurtloam wrote:
I can pick up on their vibes, but I can't always accurately translate those vibes into real meaning.

But how do you pick up these vibes? Either you pick them up visually, by reading body language or facial expressions, like an NT, or you pick them up without reading anything visually, and then it has to be something else, like spiritual communication.

hurtloam wrote:
I actually find the way they affect me to be very overwhelming and I feel like I'm drowning, but in a shared way. Like we're both in this pool of radiance together.

That sounds exactly like what I'm talking about. ;-)