A Mixed Methods Study of Barriers to Formal Diagnosis-adults

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 9:16 pm

Related Articles

A Mixed Methods Study of Barriers to Formal Diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder in Adults.

J Autism Dev Disord. 2017 May 17;:

Authors: Lewis LF

Abstract
Delayed diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) into adulthood is common, and self-diagnosis is a growing phenomenon. This mixed methods study aimed to explore barriers to formal diagnosis of ASD in adults. In a qualitative strand, secondary analysis of data on the experiences of 114 individuals who were self-diagnosed or formally diagnosed with ASD in adulthood was used to identify barriers. In a quantitative strand, 665 individuals who were self-diagnosed or formally diagnosed in adulthood were surveyed online to examine incidence and severity of barriers. Fear of not being believed by professionals was identified as the most frequently occurring and most severe barrier. Professionals must strategize to build trust with individuals with ASD, particularly when examining the accuracy of self-diagnosis.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/285 ... t=Abstract

The fear of not being believed especially as everything tends to be attributed to the psychiatric diagnosis is particularly strong with me. Then if I'm not believed I'm stuck with things and no hope of needed support.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 9:52 pm

This active thread on this page has been created by the researcher for WP members to discuss the study:

viewtopic.php?t=343597

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 10:13 pm

firemonkey wrote:
Related Articles

A Mixed Methods Study of Barriers to Formal Diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder in Adults.

J Autism Dev Disord. 2017 May 17;:

Authors: Lewis LF

Abstract
Delayed diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) into adulthood is common, and self-diagnosis is a growing phenomenon. This mixed methods study aimed to explore barriers to formal diagnosis of ASD in adults. In a qualitative strand, secondary analysis of data on the experiences of 114 individuals who were self-diagnosed or formally diagnosed with ASD in adulthood was used to identify barriers. In a quantitative strand, 665 individuals who were self-diagnosed or formally diagnosed in adulthood were surveyed online to examine incidence and severity of barriers. Fear of not being believed by professionals was identified as the most frequently occurring and most severe barrier. Professionals must strategize to build trust with individuals with ASD, particularly when examining the accuracy of self-diagnosis.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/285 ... t=Abstract

The fear of not being believed especially as everything tends to be attributed to the psychiatric diagnosis is particularly strong with me. Then if I'm not believed I'm stuck with things and no hope of needed support.

I've been diagnosed on three separate occasions and I'm still not believed based on the fact that I'm an adult female who isn't a completely disheveled mess. It seems the mental health field is plagued by, bias, double standards, and cognitive dissonance.

Anon_92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 May 2017, 10:22 pm

You mean I had to give them a cookie and didn't get the article in exchange... just an abstract??? Try harder next time.

Anon_92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 May 2017, 10:26 pm

I see I am now being watched by the moderator to now not even include even a Wikipedia article?? I have to waste time explaining these things to you? I'd rather you guys do the work... I'll just show you where to look etc...

finn_simba
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 May 2017, 12:34 pm

You can write an email to the author and ask for a pdf.