I broke the coffee machine, fiance annoyed

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Irishcanary
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 May 2017, 2:17 am

Hi all this morning I accidentally broke the coffee machine as I didnt want to wake my so up to show me how to use it. It was sort of expensive but I didn't really want it, I don't see the point of coffee machines TBH. So I never go interested in how to use it. He wanted it and loved it and is now very understand ably upset. Yet this is going to come back to a rant about how I don't listen or pay attention, and may escalate into personal remarks from him on my behalf. In work atm and do not want to go home to face him. What should I do?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 2:43 am

Grab better coffee?

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 2:53 am

i imagine he would have been less annoyed/upset if you just woke him up to show you.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

1Biggles1
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 3:16 am

Better to be upfront and sincerely honest than brew on the anxiety... Maybe try and give him a quick call during your break... Best thing to do would be to fix or replace but that is for you to personally decide...
We ALL make mistakes, this is just another one of the small hurdles in life. A coffee machine is a coffee machine and despite him possibly getting upset you both have a better gift... each other :)

(Ok, a bit cheesy, but sincerely cheesy :D )

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 4:25 am

Irishcanary wrote:
I don't see the point of coffee machines TBH.

Well, you see, the point of a coffee machine is to make coffee. What other purpose would they serve?

In all seriousness, though, it's best to be honest. Tell him you accidentally broke it and apologize for it. Additionally, you can offer to buy a new one if your financial situation allows that.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 4:53 am

First world problems...

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 6:07 am

But seriously, coffee machines are gross, they're likely to become coackroach and fungi nests if not washed everyday.

Look it up.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 6:52 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
But seriously, coffee machines are gross, they're likely to become coackroach and fungi nests if not washed everyday.

Look it up.

Sounds like a win win to me, coffee infused with protein and some vitamin A. :wink:

And common green mold is a bigger concern, coffee grounds are a magnet for molds that like high acidity.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 7:07 am

Smash it girl, smash it!

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 7:10 am

If your boyfriend complains tell him you did it on purpose because you believe he has an addiction problem and it would be no different than destroying all his heroin needles if he were a heroin addict and not a coffee addict-- it's a sign that you care for him and love him and will help him get over this addiction...

boofle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 May 2017, 7:45 am

Irishcanary wrote:
Hi all this morning I accidentally broke the coffee machine as I didnt want to wake my so up to show me how to use it. It was sort of expensive but I didn't really want it, I don't see the point of coffee machines TBH. So I never go interested in how to use it. He wanted it and loved it and is now very understand ably upset. Yet this is going to come back to a rant about how I don't listen or pay attention, and may escalate into personal remarks from him on my behalf. In work atm and do not want to go home to face him. What should I do?

You know, I read your OP and by the end must confess to feeling "concerned".
You don't want to go home and face him? Is it me? Cos to me that reads "wrong". You broke something. Big deal. Yes, it's his favourite thing but you didn't do it in malice. Stuff happens. It's a machine. s**t happens. He can get another one.

I'm not focused on the cost and/or why you didn't wake him to help you. To me, tbh, they're not important. What's important to me is, the dread you have in facing this. The clear anxiety you feel over how it may escalate and he may get "personal".

Is this really about the coffee machine or is the coffee machine yet another opportunity/platform that gives him licence to moan at you?

My OH frustrates the f**k outta me 99% of the time with "his ways". Some AS related, some not. Yet, I still love the man to death and despite how we may fight and get personal with each other, I've never felt worried to "face him" n vice versa.

Imo you need to face this. Apologise but, highlight it was an accident. Explain you thought it was better to let him sleep rather than wake n disturb him just for some coffee.
But if he tries to ESCALATE it?

Stop him dead in his tracks. Be firm. No need to shout. Ask him what solution he would like as reparation so that you can both move on from this.
Do not give him a platform where he gets the opportunity to get "personal" - maybe also look into reading up on how to be assertive in a positive way.

Your last line says way more than you realise over the state of your relationship, unless I've got the totally wrong end of the stick in which case I apologise in advance :)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 3:38 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
If your boyfriend complains tell him you did it on purpose because you believe he has an addiction problem and it would be no different than destroying all his heroin needles if he were a heroin addict and not a coffee addict-- it's a sign that you care for him and love him and will help him get over this addiction...

NO! do not tell him that....that is the worst suggestion yet.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 4:07 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:

Ok, I've got a better one then. Again tell him it was on purpose because he cares more for the coffee machine than he does for you, and out of jealous rage you broke it. I mean how are you supposed to be in a relationship with a person that values coffee more than you? Then list a litany of grievances you have with him. That's better right?

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 4:13 pm

I am surprised that nobody suggested she just apologize. It's really simple and totally derails any rant you have coming at you if you say genuinely, "I am sorry I broke your coffee machine. I should have asked you for help. Can I buy you a new one?" Since this thread was posted yesterday I expect the argument has already gone down, though. :(

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 5:18 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:

Ok, I've got a better one then. Again tell him it was on purpose because he cares more for the coffee machine than he does for you, and out of jealous rage you broke it. I mean how are you supposed to be in a relationship with a person that values coffee more than you? Then list a litany of grievances you have with him. That's better right?

:lol:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 7:05 pm

As someone with no stronger addiction than caffeine I can actually really say I get a lot from ritualizing my café trips & being routine about them; either I can study my face off, make time for friends or learn things at random from cool people I sit by.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen: