Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 1:54 pm

I have done the memory tests at https://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/memory and came out very low-2% for visual memory. Is that a marker for the likelihood I am NVLD rather than ASD, or does it still include the possibility that I could fit both though more NVLD? I wonder how many are dual diagnosed?

NikNak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 May 2017, 5:52 pm

I was professionally tested and have nonverbal memory deficits resulting in a learning disorder- nos diagnosis (this was before I was diagnosed ASD). The people that diagnosed my ASD had access to this information but still decided ASD was a suitable diagnosis. I'm of the impression that people can have both though I do wonder if NVLD is even distinct from the autism spectrum in the first place.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 6:13 pm

I cant answer your question coz I don't know whats wrong with me but I scored in the top 80 percentile

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

MentalIllnessObsessed
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 May 2017, 7:01 pm

Personally, I wouldn't say so. I did official testing and was told I have (immediate) visual memory problems, and I ended up with a learning disorder - nos diagnosis. I did see briefly the psychologist's notes on what she thought I had and NVLD was on her mind, though I don't have it. My performance IQ and verbal IQ are less than 5 points away from each other. This is what I would say is the main factor for NVLD. There are other criteria parts too, just this is the most important from what I understand.

Dx Autism Spectrum Disorder - Level 1, learning disability - memory and fine motor skills, generalized and social anxiety disorder
Unsure if diagnosed with OCD and/or depression, but were talked about with my old/former pdoc and doctor.

Criteria for my learning disability is found at this link:
http://www.ldao.ca/wp-content/uploads/LDAO-Recommended-Practices-for-Assessment-Diagnosis-Documentation-of-LDs1.pdf

sunshinescj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 May 2017, 7:09 pm

I was diagnosed with NVLD about four years ago. It is possible for people to have both. I read somewhere that almost all people who meet the criteria for ASD meet the criteria for NVLD but it is less common the other way around. From my research, those with NVLD and not ASD don't stim any more than NT's and don't have special interests but still have the social difficulties. They also don't tend to have sensory issues. I have all of these things and I am still trying to get my ASD diagnosis. I find that psychologists seem troubled at the thought of calling me autistic.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2017, 10:36 am

MentalIllnessObsessed wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't say so. I did official testing and was told I have (immediate) visual memory problems, and I ended up with a learning disorder - nos diagnosis. I did see briefly the psychologist's notes on what she thought I had and NVLD was on her mind, though I don't have it. My performance IQ and verbal IQ are less than 5 points away from each other. This is what I would say is the main factor for NVLD. There are other criteria parts too, just this is the most important from what I understand.

I am definitely much stronger verbally than non verbally . I can only go on online tests but verbally I score in the superior/very superior range and spatially in the borderline/low average range.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2017, 2:32 pm

I was within the top 75%, but I am interpreting my results with a large pinch of proverbial salt.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2017, 3:08 pm

After the first three it seemed like I was stumbling like a drunk.

But they gave me a score of 469, and said that I was "in the top one percent"!

8O

https://youtu.be/I33u_EHLI3w

sunshinescj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 May 2017, 3:28 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
After the first three it seemed like I was stumbling like a drunk.

But they gave me a score of 469, and said that I was "in the top one percent"!
8O

https://youtu.be/I33u_EHLI3w

I find that that website makes the mistake of putting "top" in front of everything because I'm in the 35th percentile and I got 8000 points

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2017, 3:49 pm

You scored 13958. You're currently in the top 61 percentile for this test!
You scored 15397. You're currently in the top 39 percentile for this test! <-???
You scored 22011. You're currently in the top 56 percentile for this test!
You scored 0. You're currently in the top 56 percentile for this test! <- :ninja:

Alright. I figured it out!
The game saves all scores and returns % of average of them. If you or someone else on the same browser intentionally got 0-1points a few times (like I did between the 61 and 39%) the % will be well under your capabilities.

Try running the game in a private browser window to see if it still happens.
And try running it a few times. Maybe you just need to get in the pace or need some luck with the cubes?

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 May 2017, 1:05 am

First try:

Visual memory = 2778. 6th percentile. I'm not surprised, I guess the aphantasia doesn't help.
Verbal memory = 30. 55th percentile.
Reaction time, 287.0. 44th percentile. I would have liked to have done better.
Number memory = 6. 12th percentile. Again, I'm not surprised as I can't remember dates, phone numbers etc.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 4:19 am

firemonkey wrote:
I have done the memory tests at https://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/memory and came out very low-2% for visual memory. Is that a marker for the likelihood I am NVLD rather than ASD, or does it still include the possibility that I could fit both though more NVLD? I wonder how many are dual diagnosed?

I don't see any reason why not. I know others here have struggled between wondering if they are ASD or NVLD or both. To me, admittedly not knowing a whole lot about it, the two seem at least like close cousins.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 5:21 am

Today I did the full test:

Number memory: 8 digits/51% (2 tries, 1st time was 9 digits but the same %) 8O
Reaction time: 338ms/24% (2 tries, not much difference. I wonder if I would get better later in the day, I just woke up)
Verbal memory: 23 points/45% (2 tries, first time was 24%, it's luck depended for me - I can remember like last 3-5 words so when there is a repeated word after a series of new words I won't get it)
Visual memory: 14507 points/63% (2 tries. First time was about 6k points, second 22k points)

The tests vary a lot depending on luck, reaction time and attention span.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 6:05 am

liveandrew wrote:
First try:

Visual memory = 2778. 6th percentile. I'm not surprised, I guess the aphantasia doesn't help.
Number memory = 6. 12th percentile. Again, I'm not surprised as I can't remember dates, phone numbers etc.

Another one with aphantasia here. I also can't imagine smells,sounds,taste and touch.

After several attempts my visual memory is 1092. 1st percentile
Verbal memory was really erratic. Started off as 79, 90th percentile but after several attempts was 43,70th percentile. Did score 83 points once but wasn't logged on.
Reaction time after several attempts was 288,44th percentile.
Number memory=8,51st percentile.

Nyctalope
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2017, 7:27 am

I did the full test too, everything was kind of average except the verbal memory one:
visual memory: around 9000, 38% (4 attempts I think)
Verbal memory: 107, 96% (1 attempt)
Reaction time after several attempts was 340, 24%
Number memory=9, 51%

I felt that verbal memory was very easy, I was not even concentrating much and English is not my native language (don't know if it's related).
What would exactly mean an high score in verbal memory? That memorizing words is easier?

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 May 2017, 7:48 am

firemonkey wrote:
liveandrew wrote:
First try:

Another one with aphantasia here. I also can't imagine smells,sounds,taste and touch.

Is that even possible! Can others actually imagine smells, sounds, taste and touch?

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.