Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

21 May 2017, 4:08 am

When I for example receive good news I don't feel like jumping and screaming like the others. I understand that people with asperger/autism aren't really known for showing emotions, but sometimes I feel like some people overreact over the smallest things. At the same time I see it so often I wonder if it's me who doesn't show enough emotions.

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2017, 1:00 pm

Sometimes I intend to be helpful at home or with my friends, except that I sound like I'm complaining and not being helpful, and then I get the overreacting remark. I have found people around me can get very impatient if you start trying to fill in the blanks for them, or if you ask too many questions, or if you talk a lot.

Last edited by ZachGoodwin on 21 May 2017, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2017, 2:23 pm

I have had people overreact about me doing things that I did not do out of spite

1. Talking too much or dominating the conversation
2. Being too "Bubbly"
3. For remembering a gown that was worn at a black tie affair by one person before it was borrowed by a friend a few years later
4. For crying
5. For letting someone know that they are doing something that I don't agree or approve of.
6. For not picking things up the way that an NT can
7. For learning that I have ADHD and can't handle my hyperactivity
8. When I was 2-4, going in my pants

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2017, 5:32 pm

It varies a lot between people, but if someone doesn't harm me I don't mind if they overreact. Sometimes I think it would nice to be so affected by even small good news.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 1:49 pm

While I understand that parents don't like it when another adult corrects their children without their authority, I have run into some bad experiences and particularly since some of them count me as a child.

There was one time where I carpooled to and from a birthday party for a special interest meet-up group. Among them were a male who I got along with, his roommate and their six-year-old daughter. On the way back, her daughter was being a little too loud and mouthy so all three of us corrected her behavior. The roommate of the driver started getting really snappy with me to the point of mild hostility. Basically snapped at me every time I tried talking to her daughter. Why it got so bad that she decided to block me on facebook by blocking me and refuse to invite me to any of the future meet-up events.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 9:41 pm

likewise

there is no inherent, objective, or correct reaction to any event.

on saturday, at REI, someone had the nerve to wrongfully accuse me of "stealing." so i told him "no i did not". and he answered "nevermind".

but, then maybe he was expecting a neurotypical response. and i ain't got no clue what that typical neurotypical response would have been. or maybe i responded without sufficient self-righteous indignation that a neurotypical person would have had.

at some times, some people overreact.

at some times, some people underreact.

some people show emotions differently than other people.

like i do not show strong emotions, but i still have them.

the previous licensed clinical social worker acted like she was so wise and smart. she had a big ego. she asked how far i walked and i answered. and she overreacted. she acted like a kindergarten teacher. she was so condescending. :roll:

and then i told her about my hobbies. and the idiot acted totally grossed out. as if she had never heard of anything so disgusting before.

although maybe her reaction was subconscious or natural or involuntary. seriously you would think an LCSW would have learned to suppress those judgmental facial expressions. unless of course she is autistic or schizophrenic or something.

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

27 May 2017, 8:55 am

ZachGoodwin wrote:
Sometimes I intend to be helpful at home or with my friends, except that I sound like I'm complaining and not being helpful, and then I get the overreacting remark. I have found people around me can get very impatient if you start trying to fill in the blanks for them, or if you ask too many questions, or if you talk a lot.

I have also gotten many people mad by asking too many questions as I need people to be very specific

Summer_Twilight wrote:
I have had people overreact about me doing things that I did not do out of spite

1. Talking too much or dominating the conversation
2. Being too "Bubbly"
3. For remembering a gown that was worn at a black tie affair by one person before it was borrowed by a friend a few years later
4. For crying
5. For letting someone know that they are doing something that I don't agree or approve of.
6. For not picking things up the way that an NT can
7. For learning that I have ADHD and can't handle my hyperactivity
8. When I was 2-4, going in my pants

I hate people who gets mad at you only for having a different opinion.

Canary wrote:
It varies a lot between people, but if someone doesn't harm me I don't mind if they overreact. Sometimes I think it would nice to be so affected by even small good news.

I would really like that too, but I'm feel like I'm unable to do it unless I fake it.

Summer_Twilight wrote:
While I understand that parents don't like it when another adult corrects their children without their authority, I have run into some bad experiences and particularly since some of them count me as a child.

There was one time where I carpooled to and from a birthday party for a special interest meet-up group. Among them were a male who I got along with, his roommate and their six-year-old daughter. On the way back, her daughter was being a little too loud and mouthy so all three of us corrected her behavior. The roommate of the driver started getting really snappy with me to the point of mild hostility. Basically snapped at me every time I tried talking to her daughter. Why it got so bad that she decided to block me on facebook by blocking me and refuse to invite me to any of the future meet-up events.

I hate people with double standards. It can be very annoying when having asperger.

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
likewise

on saturday, at REI, someone had the nerve to wrongfully accuse me of "stealing." so i told him "no i did not". and he answered "nevermind".

but, then maybe he was expecting a neurotypical response. and i ain't got no clue what that typical neurotypical response would have been. or maybe i responded without sufficient self-righteous indignation that a neurotypical person would have had.

the previous licensed clinical social worker acted like she was so wise and smart. she had a big ego. she asked how far i walked and i answered. and she overreacted. she acted like a kindergarten teacher. she was so condescending. :roll:

and then i told her about my hobbies. and the idiot acted totally grossed out. as if she had never heard of anything so disgusting before.

although maybe her reaction was subconscious or natural or involuntary. seriously you would think an LCSW would have learned to suppress those judgmental facial expressions. unless of course she is autistic or schizophrenic or something.

I agree with that you would believe they would be able to suppress those feelings instead of being downright rude, especially with her occupation, she shouldn't be working there.

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 11:15 pm

My sister just overreacted to me explaining what "infantilized" means. I guess I got really animated and sounded angry or upset about her not knowing the meaning. In a certain tone she said, "don't get mad at me."

That happens a lot to me. I..improperly :?: display certain emotions at the wrong time. So people take them in a way I don't mean them.

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

28 May 2017, 6:03 am

BrokenPieces wrote:
My sister just overreacted to me explaining what "infantilized" means. I guess I got really animated and sounded angry or upset about her not knowing the meaning. In a certain tone she said, "don't get mad at me."

That happens a lot to me. I..improperly :?: display certain emotions at the wrong time. So people take them in a way I don't mean them.

Sometimes when I talk to people they will just stare at me weirdly if I show too much happiness

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

28 May 2017, 6:05 am

W91T wrote:
BrokenPieces wrote:

Sometimes when I talk to people they will just stare at me weirdly if I show happiness even though they did so too

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 10:10 pm

likewise

__________________________________________________________________________________________

I agree with that you would believe they would be able to suppress those feelings instead of being downright rude, especially with her occupation, she shouldn't be working there.

___________________________________________________________________________________

yes, but this precious little "person" (if you could call her that. connotation versus denotation). licensed clinical social worker. worked for the community college. she did not work for the client. her job description determines what she is supposed to say and do. her job description is the standard of reference, the grading rubric, to define how well or badly she performed her job. and i am just a client. one client. for all i know, maybe all the other clients found her counseling useful. for all i know, maybe all the other counselors would've responded the same way or worse, as her. for all i know, maybe her job description specifies that she has to say certain things. (brand loyalty).

"should", "can", and "will" are all 3 different things.

in STEM fields, there are questions/problems, and answers. there are certain methods of going from the problem to the answer.

in social sciences/humanities, they twiddle their thumbs and say that there is no right or wrong answer.

however, despite that, the little idiot had the nerve to condecendingly correct me on the most vague, subjective statements. she acted like she and i could not have held different opinions. but not only could we hold different opinions, but it is not a good or bad thing to hold different opinions. quite frankly, she took freedom of speech too far.

she had a big ego.

but she did not do anything illegal.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2017, 1:27 am

I seem to over excited and overreact a lot of the time to things. I don't know if it's an autistic thing or not. I get really hyper and starts talking fast and loud. And talking about it over and over again.

futuresoldier1944
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 May 2017, 2:45 pm

W91T wrote:
When I for example receive good news I don't feel like jumping and screaming like the others. I understand that people with asperger/autism aren't really known for showing emotions, but sometimes I feel like some people overreact over the smallest things. At the same time I see it so often I wonder if it's me who doesn't show enough emotions.

Yes, I sometimes overreact if something makes me really emotional. I've been trying to act or feel less emotional or obsessive. I've been trying to listen to the voice of reason rather than the voice of emotion.

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jun 2017, 3:43 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
yes, but this precious little "person" (if you could call her that. connotation versus denotation). licensed clinical social worker. worked for the community college. she did not work for the client. her job description determines what she is supposed to say and do. her job description is the standard of reference, the grading rubric, to define how well or badly she performed her job. and i am just a client. one client. for all i know, maybe all the other clients found her counseling useful. for all i know, maybe all the other counselors would've responded the same way or worse, as her. for all i know, maybe her job description specifies that she has to say certain things. (brand loyalty).

"should", "can", and "will" are all 3 different things.

in STEM fields, there are questions/problems, and answers. there are certain methods of going from the problem to the answer.

in social sciences/humanities, they twiddle their thumbs and say that there is no right or wrong answer.

however, despite that, the little idiot had the nerve to condecendingly correct me on the most vague, subjective statements. she acted like she and i could not have held different opinions. but not only could we hold different opinions, but it is not a good or bad thing to hold different opinions. quite frankly, she took freedom of speech too far.

she had a big ego.

but she did not do anything illegal.

This is something I have noticed everywhere, that people has this incredibly rude behavior, but nothing happens as it isn't illegal, which I think it should be. At least some action should be taken against them.

Corny wrote:
I seem to over excited and overreact a lot of the time to things. I don't know if it's an autistic thing or not. I get really hyper and starts talking fast and loud. And talking about it over and over again.

I did actually do that when I was younger, but somehow it stopped.

futuresoldier1944 wrote:
Yes, I sometimes overreact if something makes me really emotional. I've been trying to act or feel less emotional or obsessive. I've been trying to listen to the voice of reason rather than the voice of emotion.

I've had a hard time knowing if I should show less or more emotions, but I feel it's more practical being able to control it, but as a result I'm not able to show these kind of emotions without faking it.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 4:21 pm

I have very childish reactions and I will jump, spin around and clap my hands when I'm genuinely happy. I can sometimes scream too.

banana247
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jun 2017, 8:36 am

I generally have very deadpan reactions. I have definitely come a long way and am much better at expressing emotions, but still not very expressive. I think it can be kind of boring to other people at times. I often watch other people get physically excited or laugh very loudly and dramatically or get very excited to see a person and it's puzzling, but i kind of wish i knew how to be expressive like that. I have come to realize that i do have very strong feelings and opinions, but i just don't really understand when/how it's appropriate to show them in a social setting.

I think part of it is the fear of messing up and having everyone think i'm weird. Sigh. I get flashbacks of a lot of hurtful rejection middle school and high school related to times i tried to "assimilate" but ended up doing or saying something really dumb or weird or awkward. So i learned to be very cautious in my responses and observe for a long time before taking part. I soon decided that being the "quiet but pleasant" one is better than being the awkward disliked one.

At home or with a select few people that i trust, i respond much differently, very childlike i think as many of you have said. I jump around and scream and yell lol.