Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Disconaut
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jan 2018, 1:10 am

I was raised Roman Catholic, and left when I was about 13. After ten years or so of spiritually searching, I started studying and practicing rootwork (aka hoodoo, NOT Voudo), which is essentially North American folk magic that was pioneered by early African slaves. It combines Christianity, African folk magic, European folk magic, as well as Latin American and Native American folk magics. You do not need to be African American to practice it, but if you are not African American its important to study and appreciate the ordeal that African slaves in the Americas endured.

I tell you this because as someone who left Christianity, I found hoodoo to be a very comforting and strangely familiar, but allowed me to have more control over my destiny and to have a "working relationship" with God and the Saints. If these are things that appeal to you, definitely look into hoodoo (also called rootwork or conjure).

The best part? To your family, it will seem as if you have returned to Christianity. Of course, only follow a spiritual path if you feel called to it.

Aimee529
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jan 2018, 5:55 am

Disconaut wrote:
The best part? To your family, it will seem as if you have returned to Christianity. Of course, only follow a spiritual path if you feel called to it.

Sadly, unless I went back to a Church of Christ, they will not consider me to have returned to Christianity. (Although honestly I am tempted towards Reform Judaism...if I am honest) So my choice is be just like them or be considered "lost." Fortunately my family will not "disfellowship" me....meaning they won't cut off all contact for leaving...but I will be a huge disappointment and they will believe that my soul is lost forever.