Article on Autism and Conversation Tendencies

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 May 2017, 3:16 pm

Today I found this article on conversation with autistic people. I noticed a lot of similarities with my own experiences and those of other people I know on the spectrum. I found it quite helpful so I thought you would enjoy reading it as well.

https://www.verywell.com/why-is-conversation-so-hard-for-people-with-autism-259896

Topics include: social skills, special interests, sarcasm and humor, scripting in conversations, repetition.

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 10:25 pm

It's interesting that the end of the article mentions that prolonged eye contact is uncomfortable for most people. That makes me wonder why, at least in the U.S, it's mandatory for everything. You're considered rude, a liar, or not paying attention if you don't maintain sustained eye contact. So autistics and non-autistics are doing something that most of us don't even like. Why?

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 4:30 pm

Yep, that describes my conversational difficulties... on a good day. :?

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol: