Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 5:01 pm

Up until recently I had no reason to use my printer with the second computer I built, but over the last few days decided to get it a little more in step with my other machines, and installed the printer's software.

Under "Devices and Printers", there was now a generic looking printer icon, very different from how it looks on my other machines. I also found that clicking on this icon did NOT open the usual brand-specific window with controls over the printer and its scanner. I uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled at least three times, even used the online version of the software instead of what was on the CD that came with the printer... Nothing worked.

This last time around, tho', I somehow caused a message to come up in "Devices and Printers" saying that there was an option to get (and I won't get these words exactly right) "brand-specific icons and tools for this printer". I clicked and sure enough, the icon changed to the familiar one and I now could access the controls for the printer and scanner.

Thing is, I have NO idea what I did to cause that option to come up. This has never happened on any other machine I've installed the same printer on. The icon has always been the correct one with access thru it to the appropriate controls. WHY this time it went rogue and gave me a generic printer icon and controls I don't know.

Does this sound familiar to anyone, and do you have ANY idea what I did to fix it?

I mean, this is all fine now, and the computer is now working exactly as I wanted, but if it ever happens again I'll have NO idea how I fixed it this time.

Stupid, I know, but it all happened so fast, I didn't take note of what I did.

Help?

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".