How powerful are Corporations? Are we free?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 1:08 am

Question in the subject. Is our whole purpose here in this nation (Not all places in the world, just certain ones) to offer meat bags or whatever else is needed to these filthy corporations. I use to be a hardcore capitalist. But then I realized just how much control these companies have on our lives. It's disgusting. They literally go into our asses asking for money. Everywhere you look. You can't escape! I kept going left, then right, till I became a COMPLETE anarchist. I'm not really sure, I mean, they do give us products. But they take our energy and our freedom and turn it into some advertisement. It's like we're just pawns, we have no worth, we're expendable money storages.

The whole industry SEEMS to be run by self-motivated sociopaths. It's like a gigantic anarchy pit anyways, but SOME people get lucky and end up with more money and power, which they can use to financially rape others for even MORE power or for money. Sociopaths have slipped into every crevice, every location, in our entire society. They run our thoughts and limit our speech, and they pepper us with pain when we refuse to accept them as our rulers.

I often imagine myself, detached from society, in some fortress, and living happily in isolation. I probably wouldn't be happy, unless the fortress is VERY secure. I would build my fort at the ends of this miserable world and await the incoming wave of capitalist vampirism which will sweep over the landscape like a black cloud. Buildings will be made, giant grey concrete industrial ones, and the natural state of things will be burned or cut away.

I'm just extremely frustrated. I want to live, I want to live ideally, but I'm not sure how to achieve that. I want to live like everyone else as well but I'm just such an irritated and turbulent person.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 8:45 pm

wrongcitizen wrote:
Question in the subject. Is our whole purpose here in this nation (Not all places in the world, just certain ones) to offer meat bags or whatever else is needed to these filthy corporations. I use to be a hardcore capitalist. But then I realized just how much control these companies have on our lives. It's disgusting. They literally go into our asses asking for money. Everywhere you look. You can't escape! I kept going left, then right, till I became a COMPLETE anarchist. I'm not really sure, I mean, they do give us products. But they take our energy and our freedom and turn it into some advertisement. It's like we're just pawns, we have no worth, we're expendable money storages.

The whole industry SEEMS to be run by self-motivated sociopaths. It's like a gigantic anarchy pit anyways, but SOME people get lucky and end up with more money and power, which they can use to financially rape others for even MORE power or for money. Sociopaths have slipped into every crevice, every location, in our entire society. They run our thoughts and limit our speech, and they pepper us with pain when we refuse to accept them as our rulers.

I often imagine myself, detached from society, in some fortress, and living happily in isolation. I probably wouldn't be happy, unless the fortress is VERY secure. I would build my fort at the ends of this miserable world and await the incoming wave of capitalist vampirism which will sweep over the landscape like a black cloud. Buildings will be made, giant grey concrete industrial ones, and the natural state of things will be burned or cut away.

I'm just extremely frustrated. I want to live, I want to live ideally, but I'm not sure how to achieve that. I want to live like everyone else as well but I'm just such an irritated and turbulent person.

Perhaps you just have a personality that gravitates towards extremes.

Anything taken to the extreme can produce negative outcomes, whether it be capitalism, communism, or any other type of social, political, or economic philosophy.

Corporations have their good points. They allow people to pool resources to achieve economies of scale that were previously impossible. Much of the technology we have today would not have been possible if not for the corporate structure. The government recognized, however, that a corporation could become so powerful as to limit consumer options and exert too much control over the population, and that's why there are anti-trust laws, that aim to prevent monopolies.

As things currently are, the only corporation like entities that it's really difficult to avoid are utility companies. Many cities require through their zoning laws, that dwellings have utility services and will eventually condemn houses that do not have such services. There are, of course, places where one is not required to have such services. For example, most Amish houses do not have electricity, and houses with wells and septic tanks may not be hooked up to local water and sewage systems.

As for corporate presence, of course corporations are going to do their best to make themselves visible, but in many instances, they can't force you to buy their goods or services. There is an Audi billboard near me. Audi has advertised on it for a number of years. I've yet to buy an Audi.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 9:13 pm

Chronos wrote:
They allow people to pool resources to achieve economies of scale that were previously impossible.

I agree with everything you said except for that point, civilization itself is economics of scale and it's been around since before the term existed.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 10:05 pm

Chronos wrote:
As things currently are, the only corporation like entities that it's really difficult to avoid are utility companies...

Valid points, but then there are also things like this recent situation in Indiana:

Quote:
...we [the Elkhart City Board of Works] have to pass this [resolution quickly] in order to continue to manage our affairs," Machlan said. "This [state] legislation lessens our abilities to have home rule. We are very much between a hard place and a rock."

"Our state legislature is in the pocket of big special interests [corporations]," Fish said. "The legislation is bad, but if you have to force the cities and towns to react instead of being proactive, we don't have home rule anymore."

Elkhart board meets tight deadline to allow underground utilities only

additional commentary: Joshua Claybourn: General Assembly home rule encroachments

The situation there had to do with the Indiana State Legislature trying to make it possible for wireless companies to be able to place new (5G) towers and such wherever they wished without needing any kind of "home rule" permission or approval from Indiana municipalities.

SpreadsheetMaster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2017, 10:28 am

Corporations rule the world and are going to destroy it if they aren't reined in. I don't think they will be. :(

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 10:45 am

SpreadsheetMaster wrote:
Corporations rule the world and are going to destroy it if they aren't reined in. I don't think they will be. :(

We just need to tell more people about how lobbying works.

Keep fighting. You can't build a peasant revolt in a single day.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jun 2017, 10:57 am

Just buy what you need, and no more. Don't let corporations, under the guise of "society", decide what you should buy.